Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I want to upgrade from an old program made by Broderbund Software.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to upgrade from an old program made by Broderbund Software.

I have Family Tree Maker version 7.0 made by Broderbund Software in 1997 and I want to get a new family tree maker program. Do you know which new family tree maker software will allow me to easily transfer all of my information from this old product?

First of all, welcome to Family Tree Forum.

You should have a facility to export a gedcom from your current software which will allow you to import your basic facts into any family tree software program.

However, gedcom files are text only so will not transfer photos.

If you are familiar with the workings of Family Tree Maker then the obvious answer would be to update to a newer version.

The newest version is Family Tree Maker 2008, which was released last year. Unfortunately it came with a lot of problems and a number of people were not very impressed with it, although I must say there has been an upgrade released which has improved things slightly!

My advice would be to upgrade to Family Tree Maker 2006.
    This can be purchased from a site such as TWR computing
    Family Tree Maker 2008

Family Tree Maker 2006 UK Edition 2CD pack including Charting Companion 10.75 pounds (which normally includes world wide postage and packing)

This price also includes a 30 free subscription to Ancestry, which is worth about 6.50 pounds.

You should be able to install this program on your computer and open your current Family Tree Maker file into the new version, thus not losing any information or photos in the old file.

Hope this helps.
    Elaine

Comment

Having typed my reply to you I thought I had better have a look at my FTM 2008 version and download the recent upgrade file to see if it has improved the program.

Initially there were a few facilities in the 2006 program which had not been made available in the 2008 program. I can see with the upgrade things have definitely improved, although it still doesn't offer the internet backup option or the Family Tree home page that was available on earlier versions.

So, if you want to go for the 2008 option, then up to you, but I think you will find most of us have stayed with FTM 2006.
      Elaine

Comment

I go with Elaine, the 2008 is gathering dust in my drawer as I didnt like it and went back to using the 2006 version. Play.com has the who do you think you are version of 2006 for £5.99 including a months ancestry - bargain or what! Someone has told me they think they got the last one on there - so if theres none left then go for the TWR for a fiver more - still a terrific bargain.
        Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 01-06-08, 20:14.

Comment

Thanks for the help. I live in the USA is there anywhere I can buy FTM 2006 in america? Amazon doesn't have it and the only ones on ebay are in the UK.
          If not should I get 2005 or 2008?

Comment

You could buy it from TWR computing - they ship worldwide and don't charge for postage, at least they don't when sending to Spain. Check out their website.
            Elaine

Comment

Yes, TWR send them abroad as I sent a cousin one in Germany, no problem. Get the 2006 as it has the internet back up facility which is really useful and the Homepage. Im surprised you cant get it in the US though - perhaps they have phased it out so people have to buy the dodgey 2008 one.

Just check in case ancestry themselves still have them in the US, they seem to say they have: you could phone them - by the way, the 2006 is also called version 16 - its just Im thinking the UK 2006 wont give you the months sub to the american records, only the UK ones.
              Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 02-06-08, 11:08.

Comment

Amazon have got FTM version 16 Standard for $26.99, which includes a 180-day Ancestry.com subscription: Amazon.com: Family Tree Maker Version 16 Standard [OLD VERSION]: Software

They also have FTM version 16 Essentials for $22.99, which comes with a 3-month Ancestry.com subscription: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846
                Sarah

Comment

What a bargain - £13 for 6 months ancestry US sub! Worth buying the program for that alone. Im seriously thinking of doing that myself now!
                  Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 02-06-08, 13:53.

Comment

Originally posted by cerebralcow View Post
                    I have Family Tree Maker version 7.0 made by Broderbund Software in 1997 and I want to get a new family tree maker program. Do you know which new family tree maker software will allow me to easily transfer all of my information from this old product?
                    And the question no-one has answered yet is that the newer versions of FTM will allow you to import your old FTM file direct. You don't need to make a GEDCOM file first. I successfully imported a FTM for Dos file (made by Banner Blue, who came before Broderbund!). When you save your file for the first time it will convert the data to the current format.
                    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
                    X