Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone have access to immigration records, please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone have access to immigration records, please?

James William Parker, born Keyingham, Yorkshire, England c1867.

In 1901 he was at home in Hull with his wife and 3 children. James was a bricklayer.

James emigrated to Nebraska 1902 - 1907 to join his elder brother John H Parker (born c1862) who lived in Albion, Nebraska.

James' wife and children arrived in N.Y on the Campania in June 1907 - both families were in Albion Nebraska in 1910.

I suspect James went first and his family followed on. Can anyone find out when he went, please?
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

There are lots of James Parkers of that approximate age arriving in the US in your time-frame, but no James William.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

There seem to be six PARKER passengers to NY in that timespan with just James/Jas as first name... 1902 2 ex Liverpool (1 b 1867, 1 adult), 1904 ex Liverpool (2 adults), 1905 ex Liverpool (b 1865), 1907 ex Queenstown (adult).

Christine
      Last edited by Christine in Herts; 31-05-08, 22:27.
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

There are two JW PARKERs in the timespan: 1904 L'pool - Boston (Mech; DoB unkown, but at least 12 yrs old), 1907 L'pool - NY (Labr, adult)

There's also a Wm J (Labr, Adult) 1905 L'pool - NY.

Christine
        Last edited by Christine in Herts; 31-05-08, 22:33.
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thankyou Uncle John & Christine - the 1902 ones are NOT him, according to the Ellis Island site. Will look up the others and see if they correlate.

Jay
          Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

The 1907 Liverpool/NY passenger is JOHN WILLIAM - rats!

Thanks again, Christine.

I have no idea what route you would take for Nebraska - as it's fairly cental, I guess they could have arrived at several ports and then travelled on by train.

Jay

Added - the 1905 chap was American.
            Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 31-05-08, 22:47.
            Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
              I have no idea what route you would take for Nebraska - as it's fairly cental, I guess they could have arrived at several ports and then travelled on by train.
              Did you never watch "Union Pacific" on the telly? :D
              Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Afraid not, Uncle John!
                Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

I am confused about this family and hope I've got the right ones.

1910 census
                  James, wife Elizabeth and children Frank, Christianna and Gwendolynn.
                  It states James and Elizabeth emigrated in 1889 and two of the children in 1907.
                  So did they go before and return to England, only to go out again.

Comment

OOOH Sue, just logged on for today - what a lovely surprise!
                    Thankyou for that - yes, it's the right family.

I wondered if possibly James had been to the USA pre-1891 (as I hadn't found either him or his brother John in 1891 census) and then returned to England, married, and gone back again, with wife and children following.

I thought I'd found the marriage of James & Eliz in 1892, followed by the births of 4 children in Hull between 1892 and 1899 (one died.) Another son was born Hull in 1902, who also died, and then Elizabeth & the children sailed in 1907. (Gwendolyn was born later in the USA.)

From what you've found out, I now need to go back and look for an earlier marriage and also do a bit more digging! I am really grateful for your input.

Jay
                    Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Jay, if you haven't got it already and would like a copy of the 1910 census sheet, then pm me an email address.

I only just noticed that John Henry and family are on the same page and hes stated as emmigrating in 1889.

Comment

Sue, Thankyou.

Have just investigated earlier marriages and it seems both brothers married in Mar Qtr 1889, in their home reg dist - so, I was way off the mark, date wise!

Pm on its way.

Jay
                        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Just want to say Suffolk Sue has provided me with some absolutely amazing information and I am SO grateful for her help.

Thankyou Sue :D:D

Jay
                          Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Its a pleasure Jay.

Comment

I don't know if Yorkshire BMD will be of any use to you?

Yorkshire Births Marriages & Deaths

I couldn't spot anything - but you have more detail to compare.

Christine

Comment

Christine, thankyou for your reply.

I managed to find the marriages of both brothers on Freebmd (their home registration district is not yet covered by Yorks BMD) I then checked with census, and both girls lived within a stone's throw of the Parker brothers' parents.

Sue has kindly passed on USA census info, and Mrs James Parker's brother was with them in 1930 - his surname was Whisker, fairly unusual, so that has confirmed I was eventually on the right track with the marriage of James to Anne Elizabeth Whisker!

It turns out that both brothers emigrated in the 1880's, much earlier than I had thought for James.

Sue has generously given up even more of her time on my behalf, and has sent a second batch of info on the Whistler brother-in-law. It's been a very exciting evening and has made such a change from my poor, but honest and law-abiding, stay at home ag labs. I am going to be busy with these two guys for some time, I think.

Jay
                                Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Working...
                                X