Where is my angel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where is my angel?

Serafina Scicluna was married to James Needham in Malta but they moved to Nottingham. In the 1901 census I have the rest of the family here:

RG13; Piece: 3183; Folio: 6; Page: 4

But where is Serafina aka Sarah Needham? Her eldest daughter Sarah born in Malta is there and I have found a possible death in 1911 for her but where is she in 1901?
    Click here to order your BMD certificates for England and Wales for only £9.25 General Register Office

Do you have camera? Click here to see if you can help Places of Worship

Jacob Sudders born in Prussia c.1775 married Alice Pidgeon in 1800 in Gorelston. Do you know where Jacob was born?

Do you know when and where she was born?
    Elaine

Comment

c 1860 Tarxien in Malta.
      Click here to order your BMD certificates for England and Wales for only £9.25 General Register Office

Jacob Sudders born in Prussia c.1775 married Alice Pidgeon in 1800 in Gorelston. Do you know where Jacob was born?

Comment

I see someone has corrected there name in 1891. Is there anyway to see who did it?

Comment

Unfortunately not.
          Elaine

Comment

Sorry - cannot see anything on the 1901.
            Elaine

Comment

I just can't understand where she is as James still states that he is married not widowed. She must have used her wings!

Comment

Could she have been visiting family in Malta?
                KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

That is what I really don't know. I would wonder how they would afford it. I have just ordered what I believe to be her death certificate which will be interesting as family legend says that she died of a broken heart as she could never settle here though she appears to have managed to have a few children...

Comment

HI

Would it be possible that she is in hospital somewhere, giving birth to another child, under just her initials and was under pain relief of some sort back then and unable to give an accurate place of birth?
                    WendyP

Comment

What is the death registration you have found Pippa?
                      Elaine

Comment

4 possibilities, assuming she was still alive 1901 (and I do have examples of people saying married when they were widowed)

a) she wasn't in the UK
                        b) she was but her details were recorded wrongly
                        c) she was but her details, although recorded correctly, were mistranscribed or
                        d) her details were recorded wrongly and mistranscribed

There are no females born 1860 +/- 2 years in Malta whose names are anything like hers.
                        There are no females called Serafina or Seraphina with surname like Needham.
                        ~ with love from Little Nell~
                        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Possible death: March quarter 1915 in Nottingham she would be aged 54. I have ordered it today so we shall see in a week - hopefully!

Comment

I have received the certificate today and Sarah died at the City Asylum from a tumour on her upper jaw and gangrene of the lungs.

Just thinking that if she died in the asylum it is possible that it is her in the asylum in 1901?
                            Last edited by Pippa Doll; 11-06-08, 19:47.

Comment

In 1901, the City Asylum, Parchester Road, Mapperley Hill, East Nottingham should be found at RG13/3180, Folios 122-137. (from Jeff Nagg's institutions site)

Comment

I have seen a few death certs for people who were in an institution for many years, and only one of them didn't make any reference to this on the death cert. ie it was assumed the condition that led to the person being in the institution was usually a contributory factor in their death. Maybe not in this case though .....?? What a horrible thing to have had - poor woman.

Comment

Nottinghamshire Archives hold these records:

Present name: Mapperley Hospital
                                  Previous name(s): Nottingham City Asylum (1880 - c.1927), City Mental Hospital
                                  Address: Porchester Road Nottingham NG3 6AA
                                  Foundation Year: 1880

Records:

Administrative
                                  1880 - 1971

General
                                  1952 - 1959

Admission & Discharge
                                  1880 - 1971

Clinical & Patients
                                  1880 - 1959

(all from TNA Hospital Records Database)

Comment

Thanks Merry. I have e-mailed Notts Archives to see if they can give me any admission information.

Comment

Working...
                                    X