Triple Wedding?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Triple Wedding?

I'm sure they did this just to annoy me!

One of those side-branches of my tree includes three Bowskill sisters: Ann born about 1819, Mary born about 1821 and Hannah born about 1826. (Those are the years of their baptisms.) All born at Tuxford, Nottinghamshire.

Marriage Dec 1845 E Retford:
    William Birkett
    Ann Bowskill
    Hannah Bowskill
    Mary Bowskill
    John Brown
    Mary Ann Johnson
    Samuel Smith
    James Taylor

It's as though they deliberately picked people with very common names to marry and then persuaded a woman with a very common name to make up the numbers! Though William Birkett does have a rarer name, I will admit...

Now, I started with Ann because she was the eldest, and easily spotted her on the censuses married to John Brown, but I can't find any trace of the rest of them! Surely it has to have been a triple wedding with Ann's sisters, don't you think? So who married whom?
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Kate

Wouldn't it be easier to sort out by looking at the parish registers?

Comment

Well, assuming they got married at Tuxford church rather than at the register office (most of my rellies seem to have got married at the register office, though). But on the Bowskill parish register extract a fellow researcher kindly passed on to me, there are no marriages listed at Tuxford for 1845. Of course, it could be that she just missed them.

Then I can't go and look at the parish registers until little one is recovered enough from the chicken pox to go back to school...
      KiteRunner

Comment

I always forget that not all counties are as good as others in the info online.

StaffsBMD is fantastic for the area I have been researching recently. I have found all the marriages I was looking for.

Don't think Notts has a similar one?

Perhaps it will have to wait until you can see the PR's (unless its the register office)

Sorry I can't be of more help, bit tired, perhaps I will think of a better way tomorrow.

Comment

I don't think that you could miss three marriages!

There;s a Mary Ann Taylor b1819 Tuxford with husband James that could be the former Miss Johnson, HO107; Piece: 2121; Folio: 728; Page: 5;

which leaves your Mary and Hannah with Mr Birkett and Mr Smith
          ~ with love from Little Nell~
          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

OK.
            There are 2 Mary Smiths born 1823 in Tuxford, one is with husband Richard. T'other is a married visitor, no husband in sight: HO107; Piece: 2121; Folio: 487; Page: 8

Comment

Only Tuxford-born 1819 wife with William Birkett is called Sarah
              HO107; Piece: 2121; Folio: 727; Page: 2;

Comment

I started following a Mary Snaith through the censuses wondering whether Snaith and Smith could have got mixed up, especially as she has a Taylor niece, but then her husband turned out to be Richard Snaith. BUT, there is a possible Richard Snaith / Mary Taylor marriage Mar 1849 East Retford, and a James Taylor death Dec 1845 East Retford, so I suppose it could be her. It freaks me out a bit to think that might be her, though, because Richard Snaith was some kind of travelling preacher and one of the places they are in on one of the censuses is Mendlesham SUFFOLK, just a few miles from where I lived as a child, and it looks as though the people a door or two away from them could be ancestors of one of the kids who used to go on the school bus with me (the bus company was based in Mendlesham). Or at least they have the same surname, fairly uncommon as far as I know. Weird! Well, must be off to bed... goodnight!
                Last edited by KiteRunner; 30-05-08, 22:50.
                KiteRunner

Comment

From Notts Marriage Index -

Ann Bowskill married 25-12-1845, Tuxford, John Brown.

Hannah Bowskill married 25-11-1845, Tuxford, Samuel Smith.

Mary Bowsill married 31-12-1845, Tuxford, William Burkett.

James Taylor married 28-10-1845, Tuxford, Mary Ann Johnson.
                  AUDREY

Comment

Oh, thanks very much for that, Willsmum. Now I should hopefully be able to find them on the censuses. I guess that means the Mary who was married to Richard Snaith and went to Mendlesham was no relation to me, then.

And the dates show that it wasn't a triple wedding at all - just must not have been many weddings around that way!
                    KiteRunner

Comment

Not a triple wedding, but all in the last two months. Info from my Nottingham BMD CDs.

Hannah Bowskill married Samuel Smith 25/11/1845 Tuxford

Ann Bowskill married John Brown 25/12/1845 Tuxford

Mary Bowskill married William Birkett 31/12/1845 Tuxford

Sorry missed the post above.
                      Last edited by WendyPusey; 31-05-08, 12:39. Reason: added
                      Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

ANN and JOHN BROWN

George c1846 Wheelwright
                        Mary c 1847
                        Anne c1857
                        Elizabeth c1866 (granddaughter)
                        Lucie Marshall c1879 (granddaughter)

1871 census - RG10; Piece: 3457; Folio: 49; Page: 7;
                        1881 census - RG11; Piece: 3304; Folio: 25; Page: 18 (someone has added a name correction on this showing she is originally Ann Bowskill, probably because her mother is living with them)
                        1891 census - RG12; Piece: 2642; Folio 18; Page 5
                        1901 census - RG13; Piece: 3123; Folio: 29; Page: 21
                        Last edited by samesizedfeet; 31-05-08, 15:33.
                        Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

struggling to find the other two .....
                          Zoe in London

Comment

Thanks, Zoe. I'd already found Ann and John on the censuses; it's the other two I'm struggling with too!
                            KiteRunner

Comment

Samuel and Hannah

Hannah's been playing tricks - shes changed her birth year to c1820 and her birthplace to Ordsall

1851 census - HO107; Piece: 2121; Folio: 749; Page: 2

there's two Bowskills there as well, transcribed as Bewskell, Jane (23) and george (1)

1861 - RG9; Piece: 2417; Folio: 47; Page: 3;
                              Last edited by samesizedfeet; 31-05-08, 18:04.
                              Zoe in London

Comment

1871 - RG10; Piece: 3456; Folio: 47; Page: 6

1881 - RG11; Piece: 3304; Folio: 35; Page: 9

1891 - RG12; Piece: 2642; Folio 29; Page 1
                                Zoe in London

Comment

trying to trace those two Bowskills forward in case it helps.

There's another lodger in 1851 called James McNeice from Ireland and in 1861 they coincidentally a niece with them called Elizabeth McNeice so maybe Jane hooked up with the lodger
                                  Zoe in London

Comment

think this could be George Bowskill and Elizabeth McNeice both in the workhouse in 1871:

RG10; Piece: 3452; Folio: 45; Page: 49
                                    RG10; Piece: 3452; Folio: 46; Page: 51;
                                    Zoe in London

Comment

James McNeice married Jane Bowskill in East Retford 1852

so looks like Elizabeth born 1853 is theirs

Still can't find Jane in later census or the children other than in the workhouse
                                      Zoe in London

Comment

WILLIAM AND MARY

Mary is doing the Ordsall thing too

1851 census - HO107; Piece: 2135; Folio: ; Page: 1 (ancestry transcription is Burkitt)

1861 census - RG9; Piece: 2475; Folio: 58; Page: 9 (Burkitt again)

1871 census - RG10; Piece: 3538; Folio: 20; Page: 3 (Birkett)
                                        Last edited by samesizedfeet; 31-05-08, 18:38.
                                        Zoe in London

Comment

Working...
                                        X