Beatrice and Maud - an identity confusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beatrice and Maud - an identity confusion

I am still trying to discover the identity of "X" (still living) - and I cannot find a birth certificate. I always undersood his mother to be Beatrice - and have photos of Beatrice with X's sister - and letters to X signed "Your loving mother, Beatrice".

The problem is that I have found a family group photo of X's marriage - and to X's right there is a lady -X is absolutely adamant that that lady is his mother.

The problem is that I have traced "relatives", (two of whom seem to be very experienced family historians) and all are equally adamant that the lady in the wedding photo is Maud, one of Beatrice's many sisters. Maud had quite distinctive looks, and I think they are right.

Does any of this make any sense to anyone? - It gives me brain-ache!
    Joan died in July 2020.

Just thinking aloud.

1. At whose instigation are you looking for X's BC? If you were asked by X, is he now concerned that you may dig up something upsetting? If X didn't ask you, I'd drop the matter now.

2. Presumably there's some uncertainty about his date and place of birth and perhaps his registered birth name. What is more important to him, getting a BC or finding that all is not what it seems?

Perhaps that's enough for now without delving further.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Hi John - it's at my instigation - will PM you
      Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

I was just trying to work out how to say what Uncle John just said....................

Although, I'm probably a bit (lot) nosier than Uncle John, and would keep doing some research on it.

Could Beatrice and Maud have been twins, and one died?

Walk carefully is about all the advice I can give.

Comment

Thanks Libby - However I am sure that they were not twins - they lived independant lives - one in Sheffield, one in Altrincham - the confusion is that Maud seems to suddenly appear at the wedding in the place where you might expect the mother of the groom, and yet Beatrice was supposedly the mother.

Thank you
          Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Have you got a copy of X's birth cert?
            Click here to order your BMD certificates for England and Wales for only £9.25 General Register Office

Do you have camera? Click here to see if you can help Places of Worship

Jacob Sudders born in Prussia c.1775 married Alice Pidgeon in 1800 in Gorelston. Do you know where Jacob was born?

Comment

Joan - I've replied to your pm.
              Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Hi Joan .... questions from me

Do Beatrice and Maud look alike ?

Could X have been brought up with Beatrice acting as his mother when in fact it was Maud who gave birth to him ?

In other words was Maud younger and unmarried when X was born ?

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Rachel Scand View Post
                  Hi Joan .... questions from me

Do Beatrice and Maud look alike ?

Could X have been brought up with Beatrice acting as his mother when in fact it was Maud who gave birth to him ?

In other words was Maud younger and unmarried when X was born ?

Hi Rachel,

Beatrice and Maud look very different - Beatrice is the lady in the "Mother and Child re-united" photo that you so beatifully restored - Maud was very slight, quite unusually short and wore glasses - she was older than Beatrice and had her own family

Thank you
                  Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Well, which one of them in the photo brought him up?

I remember something of X's story I think. Is it possible that he only THINKS Maud was his mother, in as much as the photo of her looks more like Beatrice than B did herself at that time?

I hope that makes a bit of sense! I have noticed that people often look like other people, later on in life, when they looked only like themselves when they were younger.

OC

Comment

I vaguely remember seeing another photo of yours on here .... a wedding.
                      I think there was a very short woman (standing at the front and slightly to the left) ?

Would that have been Maud ?

If it was Maud then there was no resemblance to Beatrice, so unlikely to be 'mistaken identity' as regards looks

not sure if I'm making any sense but I do know what I mean !
                      Last edited by Rachel Scand; 30-05-08, 21:43.
                      ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Hi OC - I'm pretty sure Beatrice brought him up - Maud just seems to suddenly pop up in his wedding photo, posing as his mother!!

You may well remember the story - it was the "Certificate thrown in the fire" problem.

It just seems to have taken a new twist.

Thank you
                        Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Rachel Scand View Post
                          I vaguely remember seeing another photo of yours on here .... a wedding.
                          I think there was a very short woman (standing at the front and slightly to the left) ?

Would that have been Maud ?

That is it Rachel!!

I don't remember posting it it and think I shouldn't have done as it includes a living person - but yes- that would be Maud!
                          Thanks
                          Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

erm .... I might regret asking this, but where does Winnie fit in ?

Comment

Gosh, you have a wonderful memory, Rachel !

Winnie was Beatrice's daughter - the child in the photos - and possibly X's sister - I met Winnie when I was I child.
                              Beatrice was actually Beatrice Winifred - sometimes called Winnifred/Winnie

Cheers
                              j
                              Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Yes, I remember now.

Do you think X has reason to lie to you, to put you off the truth?

If, however, Maud IS his mother....perhaps look for X's birth registration under her married name? I take it she was already married when X was born?

I know of a similar scenario - married woman had an affair, hubby came back from war and rejected this child, who was then adopted by his birth mother's sister.

This adoptee has TWO birth certs and one adoption cert - first registration was as a child of the marriage. Hubby went to the Registrar and complained and a re-registration took place, amending the first under the "false information" rule.The second cert bears the spiteful words "Father unknown" - which I have never seen before or since on any birth certificate.

He was then legally adopted. These certs spread over a time period of two years altogether.

OC

Comment

Thanks OC - I think Maud would have been too old to be the mother (49) - I have looked for births under her married name, and under the other sisters' married names and got nowhere.

I have a list of all the people registered with that forename in the relevant quarter, and got nowhere.

Maybe the forename is wrong, too!

Why X lies to me I don't know - but I am sure he does - I can only think it is out of embarrassment.

Thanks again
                                  Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

I hope I'm not being rude when i say this all sounds very interesting!

I hope you get to the bottom of it. ♥
                                    I’m no genealogist …
                                    Until this year I spelled it “GeneOlogist!"
                                    ;)

Comment

I''m struggling with this...why would X suddenly say that Maud was his mother? That is far more "embarrassing" than allowing you to think that Beatrice was his mother!

Straw clutching...as Maud was 49 and probably too old to have a child, I agree,(although not impossible) did she have any teenage daughters? In fact, did anyone have any teenage daughters when X was born?

OC

Comment

I have absolutely no idea, OC - and I don't think many of Beatrice's family had much contact with her after the marriage, as they disliked her husband. I think X was quite attached to his "mother" - but loathed his "father" - the only thing he ever said about his
                                        father's side of the family was that they "were a scurrilous lot" and he was not going to talk about them!

Willl look again at teenage daughters - there were loads!

Thanks again
                                        Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Working...
                                        X