Richards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Richards

I am looking for information on my Father. Richard Henry Richards. He was born in Radford Nottinghamshire in 1893.He married Magdalene Perterkin in1924 at St Michael All Angels Radford.He was then an electrician.He later married Kathleen Noone in1946, he was then a caterer,in London Holborn.As I understand it he did have a military service.This would have been in the first world war time. I believe its very hard to find out any military infomation if you are not an officer. Richard died in Cape Town South Africa in 1971. I have copys of his marriage certificates and birth and death. I would love so much to know in which service he served. I was told he would of loved to stay in, but had to leave for health reasons. Rosieloo, From the Isle of Wight.

Couldn't see him on the Ancestry WW1 service records but there are several Richard H Richards on the Army WW1 Medal Rolls and one Richard Henry Richards

Unfortunately there are no addresses but this one says that he was discharged due to 'Sickness' ... enlistment 19/04/1915 .... discharge 29/05/1916 ...
    Duke of Cornwall Light Infantry

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Richards

Rachel, Many thanks for the info, sounds like I might be lucky . Ill try and find out more about the Duke of Cornwall Light Infantary, Its so exciting. I will let you know if it comes together. Maureen.

Comment

Richards

Rachel, Many thanks for the info, Ill try and find out more about the Duke of Cornwall Light Infantry. It is so exciting it looks like I may be lucky. I will let you know if it all comes together. Maureen

Comment

Hi Maureen -
          Just wondered whether this might be any help - British Light Infantry Regiments

Cheers
          Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Rosieloo
            Do you want the image from 'Ancestry' or have you got it ?

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Richards

Thanks, Muggins I looked up the site you sugested, very interesting. Rachel, I would love to have an image from Ancestry. My Hubby is a bit of a fuddy duddy and not keen on me sighning up to pay services. So as you can guess it makes things a whole lot harder, but I have learned a lot, after donkey years of wondering. Its just great. Maureen.

Comment

With regard to the Duke of Cornwall Light Infantry.....beware there are at least two Richard Henry Richards who were born in Cornwall who received pensions after WW1. It could be that one or both of these were in the Duke of Cornwall Light Infantry (this needs more checking, but I don't have the time right now).

So many service records are missing for WW1 you wouldn't want to assume the record found is the right one unless there is something within it to prove the case!
                Last edited by Merry Monty Montgomery; 01-06-08, 10:51.

Comment

Richards

Thanks Merry Monty Montgomery. I see now how they are the wrong Richard Henry Richards. As my Father was born in Nottingham North West Radford. As I have a copy of his birth certificate,prehaps one day Ill find the answer. Maureen.

Comment

Maureen
                    There was a thread a week or two ago in which it was pointed out that people who enlisted in WW1 were sent to which ever regiment needed more men, so the place of birth or where they were living is insignificant ...

However, if there were at least 2 in Cornwall, then I guess it's more likely that the one on Ancestry is not yours

Have PMd you the image anyway

Last edited by Rachel Scand; 01-06-08, 11:39.

Comment

Hiya Maureen,

welcome to Family Tree Forum

I have found your dad and his parents on the 1901 cens. Do you have this information?

Living at 31. Mitchell St, Nottingham.

Richard Richards, age 51, occupation, Lace Warehouseman. born Gotham, Notts.
                      Alvina? Richards age 40 wife. born, Wisbech, Cambs.
                      Ada Richards age 16 b. Nottingham.
                      Mary Evaline Richards age 11 born Nottingham.
                      Alvina Richards age 9 born Nottingham.
                      Richard H. Richards age 7 born Nottm.
                      Lillian Richards age 5 born Nottm.

Alvina had a brother called Tom (Not Thomas) Stimson Edgley. By 1901 he was married and still living in Nottm with his wife Sarah.

I think that "Alvina" has been mistranscribed wrong and it should be "Elvira"

hope this helps a little.
                      Julie
                      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Richards

Hi Darkseretz. I did know about the 1901 census, Auntie Boo on Family Tree F A Q. found it for me. I did not know abought Alvinas, "Elvira". Thanks very much. Rosieloo.

Comment

Alvina is spelled that way for her marriage:

Marriages Jun 1883
                          COY Henry Nottingham 7b 477
                          EDGLEY Alvina Nottingham 7b 477 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
                          RICHARDS Richard Nottingham 7b 477 <<<<<<<<<<<<
                          THRIFT Ellen Constance J Nottingham 7b 477

Comment

Working...
                          X