Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The winner of WDWTYA? 29th May 2008 is...........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The winner of WDWTYA? 29th May 2008 is...........

saba saba

Congratulations.......

Hope you get lots of fantastic results

(apologies for being late - my connection went down - please don't tell Merry or I'll get detention)
    Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Congratulations Keith now ask all your questions and get those walls down ;;;
    borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

Thanks all
      the 1st thing am trying to find is as much info as i can about my grandads mum and dad . if you can look at my thread ( Help Needed Thanks ) i that will tell you where i am up to with it
      thanks again
      i do need to find some other stuff which i will add later

Comment

Just so we have the information on this thread,

Trying to find as much info about Said Ahmed Miralam (or Mir Alam) born in 1894 in Attock in the North West Frontier Province of India.

who was his mum ?
        who was his dad ?
        did he have any siblings ?

When he arrived he found work on the docks and then as a pedlar around the streets of the city. He married Fanny Knox who died giving birth to their first child. Miralam, now a single parent, met Jeannie Macmillan. The couple married in 1924, had three daughters and ran a shop and café.

In 1930 the family split up. Miralam and his son Mohamed moved in with Sarah Tate and the couple had a daughter. They lived in Pitt Street and were one of the first people to be bombed out during the blitz. Later they moved to Upper Stanhope Street and then Sandon Street in Toxteth.

Mir Alam was one of Liverpool's most respected Indian gentlemen. He helped many people as an interpreter and he campaigned for part of Anfield Cemetery to be set aside as a Muslim burial ground.

When he died in 1951 many came to pay their respects to a pioneer who had made Liverpool his home for over 30 years.
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

The marriage to Fanny is Mar 1920, Fanny Knox and Miralem Saidallen, West Derby district, volume 8b page 1034.

The marriage to Jeannie is Jun 1924, Jennie McMillan and Sidalum Miralum, Liverpool district, volume 8b page 314.

If you don't already have either of these marriage certificates, your best bet would be to get them to see who it says his father was. If I were you, I would get both because there are so many variations of his name - you will most likely get two versions of his father's name from the certs.
          KiteRunner

Comment

His death was registered Jun 1951, Said A Mirallum, age 57, Liverpool S., vol 10d, p 577.

So if the age given on his death reg is correct he was born about 1893-4, matching the info you have. Plus of course you should get his father's name and occupation from the marriage certs.
            Last edited by KiteRunner; 30-05-08, 13:03.
            KiteRunner

Comment

congratulations brenda xxx

Comment

Thanks all
                On the marriage cert to Jennie McMillan his name is Sidalum Miralum his father's name and occupation are .Father Sidalum Miralum ( deceased )
                Occupation , Farmer

Comment

Fanny Knox and Miralem Saidallen had a son in july 1921
                  Fanny died giving birth , the sons name was Mohamed Alum

Mohamed died in in 1934 aged 12 years old

How do i find where Fanny and Mohamed are buried ?

Comment

I think you would have to try contacting the council in charge of the local cemeteries and ask them to check their records; also you could look through the relevant issues of the local paper for that area to see if there was a death notice for either or both of them giving details of the funerals.

Do you have the marriage certificate for his marriage to Fanny to see what it says for his father's name on that one? Though it will probably say the same on it as it says for his own name, I suppose.
                    KiteRunner

Comment

i do have the marriage certificate for Fanny and it says the same

Comment

You've probably already read various guides to research in Pakistan, but just in case it's any help:
                        BBC - History - Tracing your Asian roots on the Indian subcontinent
                        BBC - History - Tracing your Asian roots on the Indian subcontinent
                        Research your Empire Story - Empire's Children
                        I'm sorry to say that reading through those pages, it doesn't look as though there is much available online.
                        KiteRunner

Comment

Thanks KitrRunner
                          i have been looking for this info for years , i think its the one that gets away lol ,Hes driving me mad lol

i have checked old local papers and still nothing

Comment

Thanks For Trying

Ive Tired The Sites Posted But Have Still Had No Luck

Comment

I think this sort of family research was difficult and expensive even for the TV personalities (Meera Syal etc.) who had to actually travel to their ancestral village and get the village scribe to go through the family scroll with them. There's very little chance of that information ever being transcribed.
                              Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

I think you're going to have to contact Pakistan to see what records they have, Keith - there are some contact details on those BBC website pages I posted links to if I remember rightly.
                                KiteRunner

Comment

thanks all

Comment

Working...
                                  X