Brixton: Ancestor's roots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brixton: Ancestor's roots

Does anyone know of Romola Road in Brixton? OH thinks his gmother and mother lived there - 1890s-1910 possibly.

Also was there a Brixton Liberal Party HQ at that time.

I've tried looking on Brixton site - which x-reffered to here!

Thanks
    Dorothy G

searching Gillett (Preston/Sheffield). Campbell and Hepburn in Glasgow

There's no such thing as a Free Lunch

Romola Road is still there. A London A-Z will help you or you can look on google maps or Streetmap.co.uk

Don't know about the Liberal Party but no doubt it would be listed in the telephone directories of the time.

Brixton is in Lambeth, so the Lambeth Archives might be able to help:
    London Borough of Lambeth | Archives
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Thanks for your help! I've got an A-Z somewhere. The connection to the Liberal party is that it's thought gmother worked as a housekeeper for a Liberal MP who lived in Romola Road.
      Dorothy G

Comment

Well its possible he was an MP for anywhere and Brixton was near enough to Westminster to be his pied a terre.

But if you got the electoral roll for that time period you could check all the inhabitants of Romola Road.

Comment

You should be able to find a list of some of the people living there in various years on the Historical Directories site:
          Historical Directories

Or you can do an address search on the 1901 census site:
          1901 Census of England and Wales Online

Or if you have access to ancestry, Romola Road on the 1901 census is London - Lambeth - Norwood - District 2 - starts on page 25.
          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Thank you for the helpful hints, got to go out now, so I'll start following those up.

Nell - we know where he was MP for, it's just a case of tying him in with a property in Romola Rd in 1896 - and for how long! To also tie in with OH's gmother and mother and possible connections there ;) Mother (now dead) spoke of ''living in/near a Liberal Party Club/house in that area. It's all a bit mysterious!!

Liberal Party there I have noted was abandoned in 1974.
            Dorothy G

Comment

nudge for DB

Comment

Once again thanks Little Nell for nudging.

Kiterunner
                Or if you have access to ancestry, Romola Road on the 1901 census is London - Lambeth - Norwood - District 2 - starts on page 25.

OH is very grateful for the hint - but doesn't understand the above, and says he doesn't know how to access areas/roads on Ancestry - can you help please?
                Dorothy G

Comment

Originally posted by Dubonnet lady View Post
                  Once again thanks Little Nell for nudging.

Kiterunner

OH is very grateful for the hint - but doesn't understand the above, and says he doesn't know how to access areas/roads on Ancestry - can you help please?
                  Have a look at this illustrated guide;

Finding images from a particular parish - Family Tree Forum
                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                  My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                  My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Thanks Glen

I know I can just click on the connection you give, but where are the ''How To.....'' pages? as a matter of interest.
                    Dorothy G

Comment

Working...
                    X