No announcement yet.

Can anyone help with English records??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone help with English records??

I am hoping to get more info on a George LOVE born about 1770 England. I have his descendants... i am after his ancestors. I don't have his parents names and would love to add them to my tree.

This is what i have been given on him

Marriage (m. Bradford, Grace) Citation
    Ancestry.com Parish and Probate records
    Date: 10 Oct 1796
    Text: Wiltshire: - Registers of Marriages, 1561-1812 Thomas Lambert, esquire. Delivered into Court 9th May, 20 Charles 1st [1644]. Marriages at Mere, 1561 to 1812. Volume 7. County: Wiltshire Country: England George Love, b., & Grace Bradford, sp. 10 Oct 1796

Someone also sent me this

Is this the same George with a different wife? Daughter Elizabeth's age is exactly right.
    1841 England Census Name: George Love Age: 65 Estimated Birth Year: abt 1776 Gender: Male Where born: Wiltshire, England Civil Parish: Mere Hundred: Mere County/Island: Wiltshire Country: England Street address: Registration district: Mere Sub-registration district: Mere Household Members: Name Age Betty Love 70 Elizabeth Love 31 George Love 65

If it helps these are his children (that i know of)

Love, Hannah
    b. 16 Feb 1800
    Mere Wiltshire England

Love, George
    b. 1806
    Mere Wiltshire England
    d. 05 Apr 1876
    Bulimba QLD Queensland
    m. Maidment, Fanny

Love, Elizabeth
    b. 12 Jun 1807
    Mere Wiltshire England

Love, Patience
    b. 13 Dec 1812
    Mere Wiltshire England

Love, Rhoda
    b. ABT 1816
    d. 01 Oct 1878
    Kelvin Grove, Brisbane, QLD Australia.
    m. Maidment, James

I am new at family history so i dont know if this info helps or not lol :o
    I’m no genealogist …
    Until this year I spelled it “GeneOlogist!"
    ;)

there is amarriage for a Patience Love in Mere, as per IGI, its submitted but it kind of hangs together with 1841

1841= Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece 1183; Book: 5; Civil Parish: Mere; County: Wiltshire; Enumeration District: 10; Folio: 9; Page: 9; Line: 20; GSU roll: 464201.

unhelpful 1851
    Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece: 1850; Folio: 210; Page: 14; GSU roll: 220997.

a widow by 1861
    Source Citation: Class: RG9; Piece: 1324; Folio: 41; Page: 3; GSU roll: 542795.
    Last edited by Jessbowbag; 29-05-08, 05:45.
    Jess

Comment

Thanks. I don't know what those numbers mean. Is it something i can view online? Sorry.. i am so new at this!
      Last edited by ~Queen.B~; 29-05-08, 05:53. Reason: spelling lol
      I’m no genealogist …
      ;)

Comment

Hi Alicia,

Have a look at our Wiki, which tells you most of what you need to know:

Advice_On_How_To_Begin_Your_Research

The reference numbers Jess gave you relate to the English censuses on Ancestry.

Comment

I would think your best bet would be to look through the parish register for Mere - hopefully it will have Grace's burial in there and George's second marriage, to confirm that it is the same George you have found. Also it will have the full entry for George and Grace's marriage including names of witnesses. I would think you should be able to order a copy of the parish register to your nearest LDS Family History Centre.
          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Hmm, on the 1851 census there is a Grace Love age 82, widow, pauper / ag lab, I think birthplace says Dorset Motcombe. Living at Shaftesbury Road, Mere. She has a son Thos. Love age 47, unmarried, ag lab, born Wilts Mere, and a daughter E. Love, unmarried age 42, pauper silk factory, also born Wilts Mere.
            So I wonder if this is the right family, as E. Love could be Elizabeth? You don't list a Thomas but it looks as though George and Grace could have had more children than the ones on your list. Now, does that mean that Betty in 1841 is Grace using a nickname? Betty says "N" for born in county which would fit with Grace being born in Dorset. You will probably find it a good idea to look through the whole census for Mere for each census year, to be honest, to see who is there.
            KiteRunner

Comment

There is a death registered for a George Love in the Mere district, Dec 1846, volume 8, page 288. And a Grace Love death, also Mere, Dec 1854, vol 5a, page 158. If you ordered the death certificates then hopefully there will be enough information on them to determine if these are the right George and Grace.

This should all help you to decide if the census entries are the right ones, and it looks to me as though Betty is probably Grace. But as for finding out who George's parents were, if I were you I would hope he was born and baptised in Mere and start by looking at the Mere parish register baptism entries to see if there is a George Love baptised at the right time, and if you find one, check the burial register to make sure he didn't die young. Then if that George's parents' names match the names of some of your George's children it will be a good indication that you might have the right family; also if one of the witnesses at your George's marriage matches the name of one of the family that you will hopefully find. Also you could then look to see if the possible parents left wills.
              KiteRunner

Comment

Welcome to the site.

If you don't have Ancestry membership, you may be able to find something for free on FreeCEN: FreeCEN - UK Census Online Project

Wiltshire coverage is variable. None for 1851, but some for other censuses up to 1891.

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanksyou so much for all the help.

How would I order certificates from England for George and Grace??
                  I’m no genealogist …
                  ;)

Comment

Queen B.....is it a marriage cert you want?

I can give you the numbers ......let me know which certs you are after.

I see you are in NSW. Don't expect the English certs to have anywhere near the info we have on ours.. Have a look at the WIKI and check out the certificates. It will tell you what is on each one. They are 7 pounds each.

Check the WIKI first and you will get some good tips.

Comment

Any cert really lol. I am after anything i can get.
                      I’m no genealogist …
                      ;)

Comment

This will be the site you need to order certificates:

General Register Office (GRO) - Official information on births, marriages and deaths

I found the entries for their deaths on FreeBMD
                        FreeBMD Home Page

but I didn't check the images of the indexes to make sure the page numbers were correct, so you should check them before ordering.
                        KiteRunner

Comment

Queen B.......it might be easier to start from the beginning.

Do you have any certs or is the info you gave at the start of this thread all from elsewhere???

I have found Rhoda Maidment's death. Her father is given as George Love and her mother as Grace. It says she was born in England but was 62 years in Australia.

There are two deaths for George Love in Qld. Obviously only one is yours as they are three years apart....The 1876 one has him as aged 69, father...George and mother Elizabeth.
                          The other one is 1879 (could be his son??) has father George and mother Elizabeth Still.

Seems a coincidence to have so many same names, but I can't talk......

There is also a marriage for a George Love and Mary Ann Collins in 1861.

Are these any help??

Comment

Seems a bit strange that there is that Grace who is a widow back in Mere in 1851, though, doesn't it? I still think that both George and Grace died in Mere.
                            KiteRunner

Comment

Odd, KiteRunner, very odd.

Just found George Love married Mary Ann Collins in 1861 in Qld. (Not sure it's the same fellow, but Queen's did die in Qld).
                              There are several children born to George Love and Mary Ann Buckley????

So checked the marriages and deaths......
                              Mary Ann Buckley married Robert Collins in 1859 so became Mary Ann Collins.
                              Robert Collins died in 1859, so Mary Ann a widow.
                              So she marries George Love as Mary Ann Collins. No problem with that, seems correct.

BUT she is named as Mary Ann Buckley on all her childrens' birth certs??????

Why oh why didn't these people think somebody may have wanted to find them later???LOL.

Comment

hahaha now do you see why i am so confused! (as a new comer to the family tree scene) LOL

Rohda Love did become a Maidment:
                                Love, Rhoda
                                b. ABT 1816
                                d. 01 Oct 1878
                                Kelvin Grove, Brisbane, QLD Australia.
                                m. Maidment, James
                                NOTE: Arrived in Australia on the Royal Saxon on 21 July 1848 with husband James and children Mary Anne, Grace, Jane and Israel. (State Records Auth of NSW - Assisted Immigrants 1844 - 59)

The george LOVE who died in 1976 is George Loves son (oh how confusing)
                                Love, George
                                b. 1806
                                Mere Wiltshire England
                                d. 05 Apr 1876
                                Bulimba QLD Queensland
                                m. Maidment, Fanny
                                NOTE: George`s sister Rhoda and her husband James and family (with father-in-law James Maidment) are on the 1841 UK census so they must have come to Australia some time after that, and before 1858 when sons Aaron and Emmanuel were married in Brisbane. They are not on the Qld archives list of immigrants to Qld between 1848 and 1884 so they may have come through a different port.

I dont have any George Loves dead in 1879 (hmmmm??)

Collins, Mary Ann
                                d. Feb 1900
                                m. love, George 31 Jan 1861 (this george d. 21 Aug 1914)
                                NOTE: Death Citation
                                Brisbane City Council cemetary records.
                                Date: Feb 1900
                                Text: Buried Balmoral cemetery

Some of this ionfo i researched and found myself.. some of it i got from someone else
                                I’m no genealogist …
                                ;)

Comment

Working...
                                X