Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pole Lane Chapel Census 1819

This is puzzling me.

There are two sets of records, virtually identical, on the IGI, for Pole Lane Chapel, Darwen, Lancs (later known as Ebenezer Chapel).

They are RG4 1017 and
    RG4 125.

1017 is the register which was kept at Pole Lane Chapel.

125 is a local census which was taken of everyone in the area, giving their birth and baptism dates (and much more besides) and I have often made very good use of this information. I use both records interchangeably.

But I have just noticed this, on 125

Betty Holden Kirkham, born 12 April 1785

PARENTS: UNAVAILABLE

and Jane Holden Kirkham born 4 March 1789

PARENTS: UNAVAILABLE

Why on earth would these two children not have any known parents?! There were hundreds of illegitimate children in the area and the Vicar obligingly puts the name of the father on the census, with things like "her child by James Fish, he deceased September 1803"

The record of this census is in good condition, so it cannot be that the names of the parents were unreadable - they have a given birth date and surnames, for a start!

Both registers are extracted records, but I am wondering if the Transcriber of 125 has suppressed the information for some unknown reason.

Any thoughts please?

OC

Olde Crone

I wish I could help. I am guessing that Holden and Kirkham were the surnames of the parents and that Betty & Jane were sisters, but no idea why parents would be "unavailable".
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I suppose you have discounted the Betty Kirkham baptised 1790 in Darwen Chapel.

Sorry I haven't done much outside Hawkshead.

Comment

By the way, I don't suppose Pole Lane is really a bad mistranscription of Holden Lane, is it?

Just kidding *she typed, backing nervously away in case OC starts muttering incantations*
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Gee, Nell, I wasn't game to go that far!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Harry

No, the other Betty is from a different family, and nicely tucked up with her family anyway.

Having mulled it over, I am pretty certain the transcriber has done this. I will have to get at the original film AGAIN, to check.

Nell - har har. It's been called Pole Lane for ever and a day!

OC

Comment

Working...
            X