Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! i'm confused

hi,

please can some1 explain to me how she is a "grandaughter" on census. thanks.

mother MMN was MILLER. yet the grandparents are stangor. 1 of the kids on 1881 is listed as wife to an ainsley and daughter of stangors.

this is catherine with her parents on the 1871 census:

Source Citation: Class: RG10; Piece: 5090; Folio: 87; Page: 14; GSU roll: 847387.

this is her on the 1881 census listed as grandaughter:

Source Citation: Class: RG11; Piece: 4979; Folio: 98; Page: 21; Line: ; GSU roll: 1342197.
    **no point asking the living for help as the dead are more helpful!!!**

https://purplerosefamilytree.blogspot.com/

I'm a bit confused. Catherine looks like "daughter" on 1871.

Comment

OK...found her in 1881.

Did the Mrs Miller remarry a Strangor??
      Or Mrs Ainsley remarry?

There is another Ainsley on 1881 as son in law.

Comment

Is Agnes Catherine's sister?

Comment

In 1871 the grandparents, shown as William and Catherine Stanger have 3 sons John, Thomas and Joseph all with surname Ainsley, and then younger children with Stanger surname.
          In 1861 John and Joseph Ainsley along with Henry aged 12 are shown as stepsons of WIlliam Strainger and wife Catherine (Thomas in this census has the Strainger surname and described as son)
          so your Catherine's dad Henry Ainsley was the son of Catherine who later married William Strainger/Stanger/Slanger. Catherine was her therefore her grandmother (father's mother) and William her step grandfather
          Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Makes sense, Judith.............I didn't get to check the earlier Stangor ones as I had to go out.

Comment

thank you very much. makes sense. i just coundnt get my head round HOW she could be grandaughter - 2nd marriage didnt occur to me!
              **no point asking the living for help as the dead are more helpful!!!**

https://purplerosefamilytree.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
              X