Kitwood wife sues in New York - help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kitwood wife sues in New York - help

My OH gggrandparents were Peter Kitwood and Phiilis Walker Price married in St Austell 20th Dec 1846. I have a copy of the marriage cert. Peter Kitwood has always been somewhat elusive on census returns - I'd put this down to him being a sailor. I've only managed to find him on the 1851:Class: HO107; Piece: 2175; Folio: 872; Page: 10.

I'd always assumed he'd died as on his daughter's wedding cert (1877)he's deceased.

Today I found this:
    CLAIMING TO BE A WIDOW.; A WOMAN SUES FOR THE PROPERTY OF A ST. LOUIS ... - Article Preview - The New York Times.
    Any suggestions as to how I can find out more?

Many thanks
    JANE

Did you click on View full article - tells you a bit more.
    Elaine

Comment

How fascinating .... what a find, well done!

Have you searched for him on Ancestry.com? (I only have a UK sub)

Good luck!
      Bridget

Comment

A few entries for him on the US Newspaper collections on the Gale site.
        You can sign up for a free trial
        Gale - Instant Trial - GDC - Home
        In the boxes which asks for Institution etc. just put NONE
        Elaine

Comment

Thank you Lateral Thinkers

Elaine:I've checked out the Gale site and found a brilliant obit and death notice (talking about his "vicious and abandoned habits" as a seaman but due to surviving a violent storm saw the error of his ways and became a reformed man) Shame about his apparent abandonment of his wife and children
          I'd been on Gale before but only on the english newspapers - forgot they had american ones too:o

Bridget:I've looked and looked on Ancestry UK but there seems to be a shortage of Kitwoods there. Now I've got enthusiastic again maybe I'll find something

Does anyone have any idea how I could find out if Phillis was successful in sueing Peter's estate? Maybe we're rich:D

JANE

Comment

Looks as if she was recognised as his widow

Matrimonial Mishaps (News)
            The Atchison Champion (Atchison, KS) Wednesday, January 06, 1892; pg. 3; Issue 277; col C

Gale site - 19th Century American newspapers - search Kitwood with date of 1892
            Elaine

Comment

Elaine: you're a star The article states he left her as a result of a quarrel - must have been one monumentous row!

Any ideas how much £20,000 was in 1892?
              Quite a chunk I'd think though I suppose the lawyers and the transferring of the money back to England would have eaten into it. I hope Phillis or the kids got some (Phillis died in 1895)
              JANE

Comment

Very interesting!! I don't have US ancestry but if you do a cenusus search on the 1880 census on familysearch.org and just enter Kitwood a P. Kitwood comes up. He's 60 a minister and is living with a Carpenter family in St. Louis, Missouri. He claims to be single.
                Fiona. xx

Comment

In 2007, £20000 0s 0d from 1892 is worth
                  £1,558,461.88 using the retail price index.

Measuring Worth - Purchasing Power of British Pound
                  Elaine

Comment

BETHEL ASSOCIATION.

The St. Louis Bethel Association, located at 300 and 302 North Commercial Street, Rev. Peter Kitwood, chaplain, is an auxiliary of the Western Seamen's Friend Society. The headquarters of this society are at Cleveland, Ohio, and its ramifications extend throughout the West. [...]

The Bethel is supported by voluntary contributions, and extends its benefits to all the poor, regardless of creed or color, the white and colored people having separate rooms for classes and lodging. It is affiliated with no religious denomination, but is aided by all. Its chaplain, Mr. Kitwood, is a man of untiring energy, and devotes his efforts specially to elevating the morals of the people in his field of labor.

Philologic Results

Comment

Thanks Fiona, I'll look at that - I'd never thought of an american connection

Brilliant Mary - made me laugh:D

Thanks again
                      JANE

Comment

Hello again - have looked at the results for P Kitwood on Family Search as Fiona suggested. He's in St Louis, Missouri in 1880.
                        There seem to have been two enumerations for that same result in St Louis. One where he claims to be a Minister and the second where he's a Doctor of Divinity
                        Any ideas why there would have been 2 counts?
                        JANE

Comment

Hi Jane

I have found an undertakers cert for Peter and his cause of death on Ancestry.com. If you send me an email address, I can send them to you.

Comment

Thanks Sue
                            I have sent you a pm
                            JANE

Comment

Just sent them.

Comment

Brilliant - you too are a star

Comment

Isn't it great when things start falling into place!
                                  A fascinating story.
                                  Elaine

Comment

Have you seen this? As he was the one who started the people off building the church I wonder if they have any pictures of the Rev. Peter Kitwood. Might be worth sending an e-mail to the address on the home page to ask.

BETHEL TIDINGS NEWSLETTER
                                    Fiona. xx

Comment

Thanks Fiona
                                      I'd found that but I hadn't spotted the e-mail address and if I had would never have dared to mail and ask. I've had such good support today from people I thought why the heck not. So I have and wait with anticipation..........
                                      Having fun
                                      JANE

Comment

Good luck... i hope they have some pics for you!
                                        I’m no genealogist …
                                        Until this year I spelled it “GeneOlogist!"
                                        ;)

Comment

Working...
                                        X