Facebook and family trees?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Facebook and family trees?

I'm not on facebook but both of my daughters are.

Neither have ever been interested in the family tree but now the eldest tells me that you can have your tree on facebook.

She doesn't live with us but was round here on Sunday and asked if she could enter some names on facebook from my tree program.
    She had done up to grandparents herself, that's all she knew. I made her change all living people to Living and the surname and just a year for the birth.

She's tapping away entering them all up but gets a bit fed up with the slowness of it.
    I said, it's a pity you can't upload a gedcom. She said, I saw something about gedcom, what's that? lol

I wouldn't let her do it, I don't know how secure the site is and don't want my hard worked for research over 20 years just floating around the net. Had enough problems with GR.

Has anyone here ever put their tree on facebook? It may be a way to get her interested. Thought their may be a chance when I found that her and her fiance were half 7th cousins but that interest soon fizzled out.

She did say the trouble is, like at school when they were asked to do a family tree. Most kids took in a scruffy bit of paper with a few names on. They both took a roll of wallpaper with loads of generations on and that was only a bit of it years ago.:D:D

i'm on facebook, and had some of tree on there and didnt like it 1 bit so i deleted it. it kept trying to tell me my husband was not my husband and i had to enter him as another relation.

as with all sites i think its as secure as you make it - friends only to view, anyone can view etc. i do know some of the others on here that use facebook have it added.
    **no point asking the living for help as the dead are more helpful!!!**

https://purplerosefamilytree.blogspot.com/

Comment

There's a couple of tree programs on facebook, both of which I've used.

they're both incredibly clunky as they take ages to load any information on. I wanted to use it to show all the other people with my surname I'd befriended how we're all related. My gedcom was too big to load to either program so I eventually gave up.
      Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

Thank you

Next time Emma is here I will ask her if I can take a look at it for myself.

Comment

Margaret
          I have a tree on facebook
          I use OnefamilyTree
          Easy to use and you can upload gedcom.
          You can set tree permissions so that you choose who views it.
          I did try another but I could not get it accept my gedcom. i cannot remember what is was.
          Sue ;)

Comment

Working...
          X