Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with portrait

I've been asked by a friend to find out what I can about this portrait

It is from Hopton Court in Shropshire and belongs to a descendant of the BOXER family (naval family). Apparently, no one there knows who he is. My friend says the band around his hat has the word "ROYAL" on it, so she is wondering if he is a Royal Engineer or in the Royal Artillery.

Can anyone help her with the uniform etc?

Beverley

Not that know much about uniforms but it looks to me like Navy rather than Army .... could the 'Royal' be Royal Navy ?

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Quite likely...if he is a BOXER, Rachel....but he is not my bloke. All I know is what my friend has given me to post....and that's all she knows :o

Need the Services gurus on this one, I suspect.

Beverley

Comment

We need don.t on this one but could it be Royal Marines?
        Paul Barton, Special Agent

Hear my themetune on http://www.turnipnet.com/radio/dickbarton.wav

Comment

I'm wondering tooo about Royal Marines, I think also he is Georgian rather than Victorian

Comment

He appears to be wearing a wig, if that is relevant.

Beverley

Comment

The only thing is his hat doesn't look right for a marine officer from the Napoleonic era, his looks more like a Beaver and theirs were a bit like small top hats with cockades.

Comment

Might it be something to do with the Dragoons .... am looking at hats

the marines all appear to be in red tunics
                ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

This officer is wearing a Tarleton Helmet which consisted of a black bear skin comb laid over the crown of the helmet, the helmet it self was constructed from a "skin" of boiled leather and had a short peak at the front, above the peak and around the body of the helmet is a length of material known as a turban, on the left of the helmet and at the side would be a plume. This helmet was introduced into the British Army from about 1790 and lasted until after the Napoleonic Wars and it is said to have taken its name from Sir Banastre Tarleton Bt. (1754-1833), It was worn by the RA, Mounted Rocket Corps and Light Cavalry (Dragoons). As there is no evidence of a chin strap then I would say that he, (the officer), sat for this portrait before 1812 as it was about then that the addition of a chin strap was generally introduced with this style of helmet

don
                  Last edited by don.t; 28-05-08, 13:16.

Comment

Have sent this information of to my friend, thanks Don. Hopefully, it may bring her closer to an ID for the officer.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to look at this. I'll post an update if we get a result.

Beverley

Comment

Its a great portrait
                      I’m no genealogist …
                      Until this year I spelled it “GeneOlogist!"
                      ;)

Comment

Don.t tells us it was worn by the Royal Artillery, Mounted Rocket Corps and Light Cavalry (Dragoons). As the word 'Royal' is visible, surely this narrows it down to the Royal Artillery.
                        Paul Barton, Special Agent

Hear my themetune on http://www.turnipnet.com/radio/dickbarton.wav

Comment

Apparently in the original portrait, the word 'Royal' is clearly visible, Paul, although I am unable to bring it up on the photo sent to me.

My friend is now going through her tree trying to find just who might fit. Of course, it is always possible it was a friend of the family, or a patron, or some one totally unrelated....but at least she has a set of dates to help now, as well as the uniform details.

Many thanks to you all....will update if we get a definitive ID

Beverley

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Barton, Special Agent View Post
                            Don.t tells us it was worn by the Royal Artillery, Mounted Rocket Corps and Light Cavalry (Dragoons). As the word 'Royal' is visible, surely this narrows it down to the Royal Artillery.
                            It seems that a fair number of the Dragoons' were 'Royal' as well

Comment

i,d say navy looks like the hat is navy.brenda xxx

Comment

Working...
                              X