Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good news.........

Hello

I am not sure whether this is the right place to post this thread......however

My late mother was always curious to know whether or not her humble family - Haines, was related to Sir Frederick Paul Haines 1819 -1909 (the youngest Army officer to become a Field Marshall and C-in-C India). Well he was. I discovered yesterday after some years of researching that her mother, Dorothy Lilian's great garndfather and Sir Fred were cousins (ie their fathers were brothers) all being born in Kirdford, Sussex. We also have a picture of him

This important connection will, I think, make it easier to find their antecedents

Trouble is how do I tell my mother!!!

Simon

Cool - good to hear that all the research has paid off and that you've had a eureka moment.
    Shame your mother couldn't share.
    Happy hunting
    JANE

Comment

Thats great news Simon, it is always nice to find famous relatives. I am sure you Mum already know the news.
      Lynn

Comment

Haines

Thanks for the replies

In addition to Sir Fred, this family also included father Gregory who was a CB and eldest son Gregory a Lieutenent Colonel who married the 1st Viscount Gough's daughter Jane Eliza - not bad for a family of 6!!

On a different note. We now feel that this Haines tree has grown sufficiently to be of some possible benefit to others.

1 How do we do this, the information is on hard copy (A1 size)
        2 How do we bring it to the attention of other interested parties - Haines etc, in order that both sides may benefit - still many gaps to fill!

Simon
        Last edited by Guest; 28-05-08, 15:10.

Comment

Simon, if you join various sites that let you load your family tree onto their site to be searched or viewed by other members, for instance, Genes Reunited, ancestry, findmypast, Tribal Pages, etc. then hopefully some of your long lost relatives will get in touch with you that way. Also there is a site called Lost Cousins where you can post up details of any of your relatives who you have found on the 1881 census and it will automatically let you know if anybody else has the same relatives registered.
          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Hi Simon-- what great news!

When this happens to me I call it my "happy dance time"--

Congratulations!

I am sure your Mum is smiling and perhaps quided you in the right direction.
            Pat
            Forever will be "digging" for ancestors -

The new Gadd Family Tree--there are 6 highlighted family lines now! We are growing!!

http://gaddfamily.tribalpages.com
            no password required.

Comment

Congratulations, Simon

It's so pleasing when you make a break-through like that. And everyone else feels encouraged when you share a Result!

Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Hi Simon,
                how exciting,i,m very pleased for you,

Molly.

Comment

Working...
                X