TIPTON, Charles & Mary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TIPTON, Charles & Mary

I have come to a stumbling block around 1740 ish. I'm fairly sure that the parents of my G4G-Father Thomas Tipton are a Charles and Mary Tipton. However, I can find no marriage details in Shropshire although according to the Parish Records at Shrewsbury Archives they lived and produced all their children in Diddlebury. However, there appear to be two Charles and Mary's in this village because there are too many Richards with them as parents i.e. baptised 3/1739, died 2/1740, baptised 3/1740 (so far so good!) but then there is another one baptised 8/1748 without an intervening death. Also, an Ann is baptised 5/8/1744 followed by Charles in 12/3/1745, too close together for one mother I assume hence my assumption that there are two sets of parents called Charles and Mary. Has anyone come across any Charles and Mary Tipton's who married in Counties adjacent to Shropshire in the 1730/40's? Any advice to sort out this problem most welcome!

Crusader

I think you have hit the old style calendar there - are you working from transcriptions, or from the original records, with those dates?

The old style dates, when the year changed in MARCH, would make Anne's baptism a year and five months before that of Charles. Or Anne could have been baptised a few months after birth, if you are working with corrected dates.

OC

Comment

OC
      I was working from microfiche copies of the original Parish records. When did the year start change? I was unaware of that.
      Crusader

Comment

On 13th September 1752, Britain adopted the Gegorian calendar. We had previously used the Julian calendar but because it was so inaccurate, we were behind the rest of the world by 11 days.

The Julian calendar ran from 25th March to 24th March. thus, example, in 1742
        March - month one, 1742
        April - month two
        etc to
        December month ten
        January month eleven and styled January 1742
        February month twelve and styled February 1742
        26th March first day of of 1743.

Because we had lost eleven days due to the inaccuracy of the Julian calendar, we went from 13th September 1752, to the following day, 24th September 1752 (the ninth month of the year, as it is now).

However, the financial institutios kicked up such a stink about being robbed of eleven day's worth of interest, that the Financial year was exempt from this change and that is why the financial year runs from 6th April one year to 5th April next year (eleven days difference between 26th March and 5th April)

OC

Comment

Thanks very much for that information, much appreciated. Something else to make life interesting now I am stumbling around in the 1730/40's.
          Crusader

Comment

Working...
          X