Where is Wilhelmina in 1901?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where is Wilhelmina in 1901?

Mary Catherine Wilhelmina Martin was born in 1883 in Torquay (Newton Abbot q2 1883 5b 162). She was known in the family as Mina.

She is with her parents William and Maria and siblings in 1891 at St. Mary Church, Devon (RG12 1705 136 42). Confusingly there are 2 children recorded as Mary C. The younger one is her sister Mary Cecilia (known as Cissy). The daughter M M aged 6 is Maria Magdalena (my grandmother). The neice Annie Pope is confirmation I have the corect family.

The family is in the same place in 1901 (RG13 2061 49 33) but the eldest daughter isn't with them.

Mina married George Chambers in q4 1910, had 3 children and died at a great age around 1970. Her location in 1901 is the only piece missing. My attempts at lateral thinking haven't worked.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Was she still in Devon when she married?
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

I have found a Mary Martin, but it doesn't look very much like yours.

She is in Chelmsford Essex, is Head, aged 22 and born in Devon Hove? (that's what the hand-written census entry says).

I assume it might mean Hope (my family used to go to Hope Cove for holidays and it's not far from Torquay).

She's living in a flour mill! but it doesn't say what she is doing there!

Class: RG13; Piece: 1672; Folio: 98; Page: 15.
      Elizabeth
      Research Interests:
      England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
      Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Suppose you've seen this (Maud) and ruled her out ?

- Ancestry.co.uk

Could she have been married before ?

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Elizabeth - yes, the marriage was in Newton Abbot district, so probably Torquay.
          And she stayed in Devon for several years before moving to Wales where her third child was born.

Rachel - very interesting, but I don't think Maud is one of mine. I doubt very much whether Mina married twice.

Comment

Maud looks like she's Maud Harriet, with a different set of parents in 1891.
            Last edited by Uncle John; 28-05-08, 07:59.

Comment

Any more thoughts please, before I bury this once more?

Comment

Can't see her anywhere UJ
                One possibility is that there may have been confusion because of the 2 Mary Cs and she was not included even though he was at home .... but at 18 or so I would have expected her to be working

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Later in life she was known as Mina. The family were RC which is why there were so many duplicated first names. She's shown in the marriage index as Mary C W Martin, but what name she gave to the 1901 enumerator is anyone's guess. I've not yet found Martin mistranscribed.

Comment

Yesterday I searched using only the first 3 letters of Mary and then did the same with the surname and tried different combinations.

I also went through all the images for the 1901 census which has the rest of the family looking for an possible strays (that's where I saw Maud).

Comment

Just tried Wales :(

Comment

Thank you for your efforts Rachel. I've run out of ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
                          The family is in the same place in 1901 (RG13 2061 49 33) but the eldest daughter isn't with them.
                          Looks like page 26 is missing

There's a Mary Martin (visitor.. aged 18) in ED 21 but she's from Hampshire

Last edited by Rachel Scand; 29-05-08, 11:26.

Comment

Originally posted by Rachel Scand View Post
                            Looks like page 26 is missing
                            I've sent a "problem viewing this image" report. Reporting a missing image is useless, no space to put an explanation.

Comment

Have you looked through all the EDs ?
                              I did ED 21 today + workhouse or whatever it was called

bored now, so have given up :p

Comment

Originally posted by Rachel Scand View Post
                                Have you looked through all the EDs ?
                                I did ED 21 today + workhouse or whatever it was called

bored now, so have given up :p
                                I gave up some time ago. :( I did try a few alternative tricks but nothing emerged. I can only think that she was somewhere else completely, got seriously mistranscribed or just simply wasn't enumerated at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
                                  I gave up some time ago. :( I did try a few alternative tricks but nothing emerged. I can only think that she was somewhere else completely, got seriously mistranscribed or just simply wasn't enumerated at all.

AND you have trawled through all the ED images for the area ? ... and the next ... and the next ? ... etc

Comment

Don't rub it in!

I have found her death in 1976 which confirms her d.o.b. in 1883. And for light relief I've been trawling the BMDs to fill in some other blanks.

Comment

Working...
                                    X