is 9 years too long for 1st born?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is 9 years too long for 1st born?

I have John Merrick married Ann Jeffs in 1716 in Llandinabo..igi record.
    I have the only 2 children as John merrick b 1725 and Simon Merrick(my direct ancestor) 1728....so am I being paranoid by thinking there has to be children before John 1725...i find 9 years a long time to go without children in the 1700`s...any thoughts please...or any children would be even better..lol...thanks ...allan
    Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
    oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
    adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
    merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
    coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

If you are using the IGI rather than parish records, there is a distinct possibility that the IGI hasn't picked up some earlier baptisms.

It's very strange, but I have several families where only a couple of the children are recorded on the IGI, but when you look at the parish records many others are evident!

In one family the IGI has all the girls, but no boys! However, the boys are there in the register.

You need the parish records to be sure.
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Yes, there could well be earlier baptisms that aren't on the IGI. If you look through some old parish registers you will see that they can be very difficult indeed to make out, and so it could be that it was too unreadable for a transcriber - but if so, you may still be able to look through trying to pick out the name you are looking for.
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

thanks girls....how would I check Llandinabo parish register without going there...we were in Herefordshire over the weekend but never managed Llandinabo due to the heavy rain..so frustrating....allan
        Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire

Comment

The other point about old parish registers is that everything was lumped together and in some cases it is difficult to know whether the child was being baptised or buried.
          Bo

At present: Marshall, Smith, Harding, Whitford, Lane (in and around Winchcomb).

Comment

Originally posted by garstonite View Post
            how would I check Llandinabo parish register without going there...
            At your local LDS centre.

Comment

thanks Mary..i didn`t know that...allan;)

Comment

Or find out which record office they are held at and go to that record office. It is very unlikely that the old parish registers are still held in the actual village.
                KiteRunner

Comment

Allan

I can find the two baptisms as extracts,(in Canon Norton) but the marriage you quote is a SUBMITTED one (in Llan-wotsit) - how do you know it is correct?

I cannot find a corresponding extracted marriage for these two people - but I can find lots of extracted marriages for John Merrick and Ann somebody or other.

You possibly have the wrong marriage? Why did you decide it was the right one?

OC

Comment

I have gt gt grandaprents who don't have a child for 6 years, or not one that I can find.

Reasons might be - absence of father (work, prison, illness) or mother (illness most likely) or maybe there were several miscarriages and or/stillbirths or babies that died before they could be baptised.

Burial records might include the stillbirths.

Miscarriages aren't recorded, but are very common current thinking is at least 25% of pregnancies end in miscarriage, and this was probably even higher when women did hard physical work and didn't received antenatal care.
                    ~ with love from Little Nell~
                    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Allan I have a family where the girl was baptised in one parish and the boy in another (the parish of his grandparents) That was also in the 1720s. There were only two children from the marriage and yet they were married for over twenty years.

Comment

Infertility problems must have been as common then as they are now, and back then they didn't have the slightest chance of any help.

We don't know about the ones who were completely infertile - because they didn't have any descendants! We only puzzle over those who only appear to have had one or two children. We don't know how many stillbirths, miscarriages or years of not conceiving that they had.

However, I still think you probably have the wrong marriage, given that John Merrick is such a common name in the area.

OC

Comment

thank you all...OC would you check the marriage of Simon Merrick and ellenor davies 1755 letton...is this extracted or submitted please??...thanks...allan

Comment

Allan.. my great great grandfather had 7 children - their birthdates are all listed by my grandfather and confirmed by the census - but I have only found one baptism and one IGI entry which is for the second child born.

Without the list written by my grandfather I wouldn't have got very far with my family history as it is a common last name for the area.
                            Kathleen

Comment

Allan

It's extracted.

When you view any record on the IGI, it says somewhere on the page, EXTRACTED or SUBMITTED, usually underneath the body of the information.

Just look for either of those words on the page to see which it is.

OC

Comment

Allan, when you look at an IGI entry on the FamilySearch website, it will usually tell you if it is "extracted" or "submitted" at the bottom. That Simon Merrick / Elianor Davis one says "Extracted marriage record for locality listed in the record.", so that means it is taken from the parish register (or bishop's transcripts or similar).
                                KiteRunner

Comment

thankyou both........so i`ll have to go back through my notes and find out why I have John Merrick and Ann Jeffs as Simons parents........i`ll check on igi again....can I find out who `submitted` this on igi??...allan
                                  ADDED..ok,so i`ve just checked for Simon Merricks birth and its on igi 1728..father John Merrick mother Anne..EXTRACTED..presumably now i`m at a dead end...i`ll just check for all the marriages for john and anne merrick....
                                  Last edited by garstonite; 28-05-08, 08:42.

Comment

There's often no record of who submitted a "submitted" entry. And for pre-1990 submissions the LDS have no record anyway (it says on the entry when it was submitted).
                                    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thanks john........i also noticed it says for details of the submition you must have the Batch number and the Sheet number...well only the batch number is available on John and Annes marriage...so i couldn`t have found it anyway....thanks again...allan

Comment

Working...
                                      X