Is this what I think it is?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this what I think it is?

Check out the advertisement in the bottom left hand corner. It's from The Pall Mall Gazette (London, England), Wednesday, April 14, 1897.
    Attached Files
    Paul Barton, Special Agent

Hear my themetune on http://www.turnipnet.com/radio/dickbarton.wav

Sorry Paul, it's a bit small. To what are you referring?

Comment

Ah... how do I enlarge it?
      Paul Barton, Special Agent

Hear my themetune on http://www.turnipnet.com/radio/dickbarton.wav

Comment

yep - too small for me too
        Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

*reaches for X-Ray specs....

Epp's Cocoaine?

Comment

[ATTACH]10106[/ATTACH]

Comment

Yep, that's the stuff!

Beloved of Dentists in my youth, for knocking you out and pulling out your teeth, amongst many other things.

OC

Comment

That's quite likely, in an era in which Morphine/Opium, Laudanum and other such pick-me-ups were regarded as the norm. It's said that the initial recipes for Coca Cola included cocaine - but that may well be Urban Myth!

Cigarettes used to be regarded as healthy by some.

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Cocaine was certainly used, but a quick google search indicates that cocoa nibs come from cocoa beans, not the coca plant.

So it was just a bedtime drink.

Comment

However, I wonder if they deliberately invented the name cocoaine to fool people into thinking they were getting a narcotic?

Comment

I think it's just a way of making money from the left-overs from the cocoa/chocolate making process. It probably tasted vaguely chocolatey but I bet all the bits floated on the top. Maybe you had to pour it through a tea-strainer.
                      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Incidentally, I was amazed by the enormous range of quack remedies advertised in the papers in the early and mid 19th. century.
                        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

A bit like chicken nuggets all the bits left over.

Comment

UJ

That's probably because most people couldn't afford to go to the doctor, and if they could, he couldn't cure them.

My grandfather, like many of his generation, was obsessed with "inner cleanliness". Once a week he downed a big mugful of soapy water, convinced that his innards were getting a good wash.

I find an interesting parallel with today's obsession with health foods, supplements and so-called natural remedies - seems we have never trusted our doctors. Either that, or they have never been any good at curing us.

OC

Comment

Cocaine was used as an anaesthetic for eye surgery (I read about this in the Medical bit of the Science Museum)

It was popular for medicinal purposes (Shakleton & Scott both had cocaine tablets when they went to Antarctica), only later did its addictive qualities cause it to be banned.

Laudanum (an opium product) was used widely by the Victorians (Elizabeth Barratt Browning was addicted to it) and also arsenic, used for a variety of medicinal and cosmetic purposes, to kill flies and of course it was the classic poison of that era.
                              ~ with love from Little Nell~
                              Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

The Bright Young Things were made considerably brighter by their heroin & cocaine use..plus ca change..fictional Sherlock Holmes had a habit too that didn't include cocoa.

Comment

Certainly gives 'high tea' a whole different meaning..... :D

Comment

Rachel, lol!

OC
                                    Not sure if the quack remedies were advertised because people didn't have faith in their doctors or because there wasn't such stringent legislation to prevent people being sold "snake oil", as we have nowadays.

As for doctors not being good at curing, reminds me of the Frank Lloyd Wright quote "A physician can bury his mistakes. An architect can only advise his client to plant vines"!
                                    ~ with love from Little Nell~
                                    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

But that's the whole point, Nell, we ARE being sold snake oil, in the form of vitamin supplements, a "new wonder discovery" from some impossibly named tree found only in one square yard of the Peruvian junglw, but known for its amazing curative properties by centuries of Peruvian medicine men....

My mother suffered from severe rheumatoid arthritis, but took great pride in "not taking drugs". She spent a fortune on health cures of all descriptions and prices, none of which helped any more than the "drugs".

I pointed out that EVERYTHING in the plant kingdom can be used as a drug and contains chemicals, but she was adamant that the natural stuff was healthy and harmless.

Well, foxglove is healthy and natural - but it will kill you if you eat enough of it!

OC

Comment

I agree with OC, a well known health food store is selling huge drums of supplements, a long way from healthy eating.

Comment

Working...
                                        X