Help please, I'm confused

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help please, I'm confused

Charles Haskew has a housekeeper in 1871 called Sarah Mellor.
    RG10; Piece: 2910; Folio: 65; Page: 1

Family legend has it he married her.

In 1881 he has a wife called Sarah the same age as the housekeeper in 1871.
    RG11; Piece: 2761; Folio: 22; Page: 38

In 1901 Sarah Haskew widow is living with her brother Edward Mellor.
    RG13; Piece: 2657; Folio: 113; Page: 27

The trouble is, the only marriage I can find is Charles Haskew and Sarah Hinckley in 1877 Lichfield Jun qtr 6b 593

Sarah's place of birth in 1871 is Wigginton, Staffs, the same place as Charles Haskew, but 1881 + is Tatenhill or Callingwood which are only yards apart.

There is no Sarah Hinckley on previous census, but there is a Sarah Mellor prior to 1871 born at the right time in the right place.

Someone convince me that this is the same person or prove it isn't.

I think your thesis looks very reasonable - but I haven't found anything in particular to support it (or refute it) yet.

All I managed to find is the IGI submissions - which don't give a marriage date/place, but do give birth and death/burial dates in Hopwas, Staffs for Charles Haskew.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Hi Christine

Yes, I've seen that on IGI submissions. This family was RC so not much on IGI other than that.

Comment

Can you get anything from the Staffs Records Office?

Trouble is, I think they charge a fairly substantial fee for copies, including the initial record search. Not to say that it isn't professional value for money - just that it's more than you might hope to be paying.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Christine

I think there is very little at Staffs record office on RC records.

I don't really want to go to any expense on this side of the family as it was Charles' first wife who was an ancestor of my OH.

Really just trying to tidy up my notes.

Comment

Margaret.

Go onto Staffordshire BMD.. All will be explained

Its the same person
            Last edited by Pamdidle; 26-05-08, 18:26.
            Pam

Comment

Originally posted by Pamdidle View Post
              Margaret.

Go onto Staffordshire BMD.. All will be explained

Pam

I've done that, but I can't find a previous marriage for Sarah.

Comment

I couldn't see the marriage there, either!

Christine

Comment

Margaret.

There is a star by her name. Click on it and it explains. They have her with both names

Its the same reference number
                  Last edited by Pamdidle; 26-05-08, 18:32.
                  Pam

Comment

Ooh just found this

Sarah Mellor married John Hinkley 1866 Dec qtr Derby 7b 763.

Just going to check, but I'm sure she is down as unmarried in 1871.

Yes she is, Sarah Mellon (sp) unmarried

Comment

I could see this one:
                      MELLOR * Sarah A HASKEY Thomas W 1877 Burntwood, Christ Church Staffordshire Lichfield 3PL/1/275
                      MELLOR * Sarah A WRIGHT Thomas W 1877 Burntwood, Christ Church Staffordshire Lichfield 3PL/1/275

But that means the groom is Thomas and he's the one with two surnames??

Christine

Comment

On Staffs bmd i saw a marriage between a Henry Haskew and a Sarah Mellor

Danny
                        http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=528974734

Comment

The marriage is on StaffsBMD as Charles HASKEWS and Sarah HINCKLEY, also Charles HASKEWS and Sarah MELLOW.

Look like that may be the explaination

Civil marriage Lichfield Staffsbmd ref ROL/11/45

Comment

Now I understand!

He's acquired an S on his name and her surname has a W instead of an R.

(It also helps to look in the right date-range!)

I notice it's a civil marriage. That's presumably the RC bit rather than any problem over the possible continued existence of a previous spouse?

Christine
                            Spotted, before I saw the full explanation.
                            Last edited by Christine in Herts; 26-05-08, 18:45.

Comment

I see that there is a death for a John Hinckley registered in Lichfield in 1867.

Perhaps that's why she went back to her maiden name - because he died so soon.

Christine

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                                I see that there is a death for a John Hinckley registered in Lichfield in 1867.

Perhaps that's why she went back to her maiden name - because he died so soon.

Christine

Yes I saw that Christine, but he was 71, that makes him 43 years older than her.

Comment

If that were her husband, then she might have good reason for not wanting to retain his surname. I know there are some very successful marriages with large age gaps, but one suspects that not all the brides of those days were very willing.

Christine

Comment

Working...
                                  X