Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inquest Advice, please.

Hi Folks,

I have received a death cert for my great uncle, who died in 1934. He was epileptic, apparently, and died as a result of asphyxiation whilst having a fit when he was in bed at night. Smothered by his pillow, it would seem. There was a Post Mortem and Inquest, which returned a verdict of 'misadventure'.

This sad event took place in Tottenham, Edmonton, Middlesex, and was wondering if anybody would know whom to contact to receive a copy of the inquest (or even a notification in a local newspaper) please?

Many thanks,

Chris

Chris

Inquest papers are sometimes in the relevant archives, sometimes the current coroner has them, sometimes they are destroyed.

Best bet to start with would be the local paper report.

Archives and Local History: Haringey Council
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
      Chris

Inquest papers are sometimes in the relevant archives, sometimes the current coroner has them, sometimes they are destroyed.

Best bet to start with would be the local paper report.

Archives and Local History: Haringey Council
      Very many thanks for that, Nell. Will get in touch with that paper.

Chris

Comment

Chris.....I sent an email to the respective county archives requesting information about an inquest in 1900; I received a quick response although the records had not been saved. They suggested that I searched the local newspapers but I was unlucky.
        Kathleen

Comment

Thanks Nell & Kathleen.

Got a swift reply from Haringey (and promptly realised that I had been in contact with this lady last year with a newpaper insertion request).
          She told me that there was a brief mention in the local rag, and is sending me the relevant form. The inquest (assuming it still survives) would be with the LMA apparently. Must try and look into that.........

Chris

Comment

Chrisiebee

That was quick, thanks for the feedback.

LMA does have coroner's records but i haven't investigated.

Comment

Just had an email back from Haringey, along with a downloadable form, for a copy of this brief report in the Tottenham & Edmonton Weekly Herald. This very helpful lady also found a small announcement of thanks in the BMD section of the same paper. I have filled in this form, which is already printed out as to what you are requesting, so you only have to sign it and send it back with a cheque for £1 (including postage)! How good is that??!!! I'm tickled pink!;)

All I have to do now is try and find how to get the possible Inquest Report from the LMA - can I just email them? Any idea, folks?

Chris

Comment

Hope its worth reading, Chrissie

I think you can e-mail your request to LMA but they probably take ages to answer and it will cost more ad they would need to look for it.

Have a look on their website -

London Metropolitan Archives

Comment

Details of their search service:

Family History Research Service

Comment

Nell - thanks for that, will give it a whirl.

Chris

Comment

Working...
                    X