No announcement yet.

Where the heck did Caroline Hannah go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where the heck did Caroline Hannah go?

I’m still on the quest for our Caroline Hannah Kendall not to be confused with her mother Caroline Kendall nee Cook and to find out what happened to her.

She was born 7 August 1841 in Old North Street, Holborn just after the 1841 census that I have her parents and her half sister on.

Next she is spotted at 21 Minories with the family in 1851 - her father John dead, but another two siblings added my great grandfather a full sibling and another half sister Mary Ann and father’s cousin who is Mary Ann’s father it turns out.

Class: HO107; Piece: 1524; Folio: 201; Page: 51; GSU roll: 87858.

Her mother and her new husband Thomas Hall and my great grandfather is still found at 21 Minories on the 1861 census, older sister Eliza is married and living in Islington and baby Mary Ann has died, in fact when she was 18months old in 1852. Took me a long while to find this census great grandfather’s name is transcribed wrongly and Caroline had remarried but I searched in desperation for the address on FMP not expecting to see them at the same address.

Class: RG9; Piece: 210; Folio: 131; Page: 14; GSU roll: 542592.

Now we think this is our Caroline on the 1861 census - not far from the family home actually but across the city boundary. I’m sure it is.

Class: RG9; Piece: 227; Folio: 81; Page: 20; GSU roll: 542595.

This is where we lose her. We think she married a George Daniel Duff in Penge, Croydon in 1862 - FreeBMD 2a 318.

I have the marriage certificate and this Caroline has named her father John Kendall which was our Caroline’s father’s name. But the profession is dodgy it says ‘Gentleman’ !!!! Now John died when she was 7 years old and a Tailor so mmmmm...

It gets worse poor old George Daniel Duff died in 1865 in Croydon.

Never found any more trace of Caroline at all. Not a marriage, not a death, nothing.

Loads of Duffs being born in the Croydon area but there is another family of Duffs there - coincidentally another Caroline Kendall married to a George Duff.

I’ve looked on passenger lists - although I must say I find them confusing, I’ve looked at the NBI although the coverage is patchy.

Not a census to be had with her on, except one in Glasgow with a few children who I don’t think is her because all the children seem to have been born after Duff's death - I suppose they don't have to be his but why Glasgow unless she was leaving the country.

Sorry that was a long story but there you go.

What to do next? Where to look is there anything or can anyone suggest something?

Maggie

Just so you don't feel ignored, I have read this and will attempt to digest it. The trouble with finding her on later censuses when you don't know her surname is that she could put all sorts for birthplace, including just London.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Yeah I was feeling a bit ignored but I know its difficult because I seem to have done everything.

I just can't find her and I can't understand why. I do expect she was a bit of a fibber to be honest. Because she seemed to have married above her station if its her and she put 'Gentleman' down has father's profession :D yeah right.

If it is her that married George Daniel Duff - he was well placed and had a good job as a Notary! whatever that was. Most of his family seem to have been into finances...

My next document is his death certificate to see what he died of, he was quite young although a bit older than her by 10 years I think. I can't remember without looking back at the my docs.

I expect she went on to marry someone else or leave the country I just don't think she died.

I tried the Duff and Kendall search...

Comment

a notary was a kind of solicitor.

Not certain this is the right marriage, but if you get the death cert and she is the informant it might help you trace her forwards. If he wa a notary he might well have left a Will, which could shed further light.

Comment

I must admit I never thought of that to be honest because I'm not convinced that's her marriage but she used all her names and there's not any death or any other marriage for her anywhere.

I know he had a brother Brook Duff much younger that was quite well heeled too.

I shall look at wills what is the best site or physical place to go for that for that? I know there's been a few links.

I am off to the LMA in a few weeks.

Edit to say: Caroline Hannah is driving me up the wall just like her mother did but I've got her mother now well after she left Docking, Norfolk in 1838 until her death in Mile End in 1891.
          Last edited by Guest; 26-05-08, 17:18.

Comment

Not sure about after 1858 (before that there's Kew and you can download them). But I expect the answer will be in the Wiki. I've a feeling there's a place in Holborn, which is a long walk or a short bus ride from the LMA.

I have been unable to get LMA website to open recently. Not sure how they are getting on with their alterations.

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
              Not sure about after 1858 (before that there's Kew and you can download them). But I expect the answer will be in the Wiki. I've a feeling there's a place in Holborn, which is a long walk or a short bus ride from the LMA.

I have been unable to get LMA website to open recently. Not sure how they are getting on with their alterations.
              Well I was at the LMA on 30th April and they are nearly finished. New areas for looking at documents with gloves, all glass and organised, loads more PCs, Microfiche readers seem to be the same amount. I think they're getting there.

I work in Holborn in fact in Red Lion square adjacent to Old North Street where my ancestors lived in 1841! yeah its weird.

Whereabouts in Holborn?

Comment

London : The Record Keeper, Principal Registry of the Family Division, First Avenue House, 42 - 49 High Holborn, London WC1V 6NP
                Tel 020 7947 7000

source, our own Wiki:
                Publications - Guidance - Probate - Guide to obtaining copies of probate records

Comment

Husband's gt grandparents were living at 155 High Holborn in 1901 census. He had lots of relatives all round Holborn/St Martin in the Fields/St Giles in the Fields/Covent Garden.

Comment

Husband's gt grandparents were living at 155 High Holborn in 1901 census. He had lots of relatives all round Holborn/St Martin in the Fields/St Giles in the Fields/Covent Garden.
                    Really! Whats the reference for great grandparents?

Interesting because there is George and Brook Duff living in Islington with their married sister in 1861 near where Eliza Caroline's older half sister lived with her husband and also Croydon area before that and also South London.

Comment

London : The Record Keeper, Principal Registry of the Family Division, First Avenue House, 42 - 49 High Holborn, London WC1V 6NP
                      Tel 020 7947 7000

source, our own Wiki:
                      Publications - Guidance - Probate - Guide to obtaining copies of probate records
                      Good grief I never knew that existed.

Thanks for that.

Comment

RG13/237 85 p.2

Henry Ledger & family

Comment

Yeah I've looked at that how did you get to the Ledger family?

I am obviously missing something.

Comment

Maggie

Not sure what you mean. I was just passing a remark that husband had ancestors around Holborn. Henry Ledger's daughter Maud Violet (over the page, aged 8 months) was husband's maternal grandmother.

Does that answer you?

Comment

Maggie

Not sure what you mean. I was just passing a remark that husband had ancestors around Holborn. Henry Ledger's daughter Maud Violet (over the page, aged 8 months) was husband's maternal grandmother.

Does that answer you?
                              Oh your husband! Sorry I was missing the point.

Apologies.

Comment

That's Ok, I thought we were at cross purposes, just glad to have cleared that up.

Comment

Thats okay its probably me sometimes I just don't pay attention to detail.

As for Caroline Hannah I don't think I'll ever find her or what happened to her.

Comment

Oh don't be so defeatist!

You never know, you might. I have found the answers to quite a few queries that seemed unsurmountable, though you might have to wait a while.

Comment

Hi Maggie
                                      The Principal Registry in Holborn has all the probates in whopping great ledgers, though it also has microfiches & some computer terminals (keyboards are filthy). You have to have your bag scanned by security & go through a metal detector thing.

When you find a will you want to order there's a form to fill in which you take with the ledger to the clerk for checking,help yourself to an envelope to address if its to be posted, then go to pay you £5 to the cashier. They have an hourly collection service in which case you then go back to the first clerk to hand the form in, or if you want it sent by post (5 working days) the cashier processes it.

Comment

Working...
                                      X