What happened to Henry?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happened to Henry?

I have Henry Tatam christened 11 December 1836 Barrowden Rutland, the son of Henry Tatam born c1800 Stamford Lincs and Frances Briggs born c1806 Sibson Hunts.

In 1841 the family are in Hampton in Arden, Warwickshire, visitors in the home of William Tatom age 30, and Henry jnr is mistranscribed as Henery Tatom age 4. (HO107/1129/7) I am imagining that this was a reasonably short break as every other sighting of the family has been in Barrowden or Stamford.

In 1851 the family are back in Stamford minus Henry jnr, I can't see him anywhere on this census or any other. I also can't find a death that is obviously him.

Before I write him off as dying between 1841 and 1851, can anyone see anything that I have missed?
    Last edited by KiwiChris; 26-05-08, 11:03.
    Christine
    Normal day, let me be aware of the treasure you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart. Let me not pass you by in quest of some rare and perfect tomorrow. Let me hold you while I may, for it may not always be so.
    Mary Jean Iron

I found this, but I am assuming it is your message?

Tatam family from Rutland/Lincolnshire
    Rose

Comment

Hi Chris

Have you tried the NBI for Warwickshire to see if he died before they got back to Stamford?

Joanie

Comment

Just looked at 1851 for reference :

Piece: 2094; Folio: 364; Page: 12; GSU roll: 87722.

It looks like Frederick was born in Sibson, so it could be that Henry jnr died there.

Can someone check the NBI for both counties for you?
        Warwickshire
        Huntingdonshire

Joanie

Comment

Hi KiwiChris,

I looked on FindMyPast NBI records and couldn't find him. The only one close was:

Henry Tatum
          Buried 1 Jan 1843 aged 18 months in Coventry
          Elizabeth
          Research Interests:
          England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
          Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Hi Elizabeth

Could you check the age of this one at all please?

Henry Tatham Nottinghamshire 1848 ?

Thanks

Joanie

Comment

Will do Joan.
              Elizabeth
              Research Interests:
              England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
              Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Henry Tatham
                Buried: 14 Feb 1848
                Aged 4
                Nottingham St Peter

So it doesn't look like the right one.:(
                Elizabeth
                Research Interests:

Comment

Ah well thanks anyway Elizabeth.

Joanie

Comment

Thanks for these replies, I posted and went to bed, so sorry I was not here to
                    join the discussion. :o

Firstly, yes Rosie, that was my message.

It is so weird, he just vanishes, there is nothing on Free BDM that appears obviously his death, and you have now eliminated two of the possibles elsewhere for sure.

I have tried Free BDM for Tatam and Tat*m, Henry Henery, Hen*y. Ooh I did not try Harry.

Dashes off to check.....
                    Nope, not Harry either.

Maybe he didn't die, he would have been 14 in 1851, I can't see him though, anyone else care to have a look? Another pair of eyes might do it. Maybe he was away working or staying with friends or something.

He was almost definitely dead by 1874 as his father did not leave him anything in his will, mind you he did not leave his older brother, my gg grandfather anything either as he had blotted his copybook and run off to New Zealand.

*wonders if Henry may have run off somewhere as well*
                    Christine
                    Normal day, let me be aware of the treasure you are. Let me learn from you, love you, bless you before you depart. Let me not pass you by in quest of some rare and perfect tomorrow. Let me hold you while I may, for it may not always be so.
                    Mary Jean Iron

Comment

Hi Chris - found this in 1881 -but the places don't seem right - it may be a complete red herring - not looked properly, but thought I'd post it before I go to work in case I forget about it!

Henry Tatum
                      born c1836 Sudbury, Suffolk,

Address 114 North Street, Luton, Beds
                      Occupation -Stone Mason

Florry Pearson 6
                      Henry Tatum 45
                      Jane Tatum 17
                      Mary A. Tatum 44

Source Citation: Class: RG11; Piece: 1649; Folio: 76; Page: 30; Line: ; GSU roll: 1341394.

Information Crown Copywright from http://www.familytreeforum.com/resea...archives.co.uk

Please do not copy and paste from sites such as Ancestry as it contravenes copyright. I have edited your post.
                      Elaine
                      Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 27-05-08, 07:34.
                      Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

I have tried following that one back through the census Joan, and I think in 1841 he was with his siblings in the Luton Workhouse. Difficult to be sure but the one there looks about the right age as the one you found, whose age changes a bit in each census although I could not find him in a couple. He is always in Luton when I do find him though.
                        Christine
                        Mary Jean Iron

Comment

North Street is still there, though there has been a lot of redevelopment in the last 25 years. My elder daughter was born in Luton Workhouse, which is also still there. It became a maternity/geriatric annex to the main hospital and is now a private hospital/home of some sort.
                          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
                          X