Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GATESHEAD: Scanned or handwritten certificates?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GATESHEAD: Scanned or handwritten certificates?

Hi All

Am feeling particularly 'thick' today; I can't find my way round the Wiki! I am sure I remember seeing a list of local register offices and whether or not they offer scanned or handwritten certificates.

I want to send off for a marriage in Gateshead in 1918 and am trying to decide whether to order via the GRO or Gateshead register office. Any opinions on which would currently be better, please?

Thanks
    Helen

(searching amongst others for
    BADGER, HALL/JOHNSON, KEY, KING, MURPHY, NEUMANN/NEWMAN AND VALE)

I don't know!

GRO will send you a scanned copy of the copy they have received originally. It will be in the original writing.

Local register offices may copy out in writing or typing as requested, or you can ask for a photocopy.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Does this help

tp://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/index.php/England_and_Wales_Certificates#Certificate_orders_ via_the_General_Register_Office

you need to scroll down

Comment

You could email or phone Gateshead RO first to see if they can scan. I was a bit disappointed to find that South Gloucestershire RO don't have scanning facilities so I received a handwritten certificate. I've also had one from Newcastle RO that was written out (rather flowery and not particularly legible!).
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

*waves to Helen in Berkshire*

how are you! Ive just remembered who you are!

Comment

All my certs from Gateshead RO are either handwritten or typed, ones from GRO are scans of originals.regards Tony

Comment

Thanks, everyone.

Sorry I didn't reply earlier but there was a glitch with our computer last night and we went offline.

There used to be a list that I think Glen in Tinsel Knickers compiled, saying which offices offered scans etc., but perhaps it no longer exists.

Helen

P.S. I'm fine, Nell, thanks! How are you? With two teenagers hogging the computer, it's hard to do a lot of online research, I find!
              Last edited by Helen in Berkshire; 26-05-08, 10:06.
              Helen

Comment

Hi Helen

I have my own laptop (snigger) but share it with younger son so he can do his geog project!

As you will see on Hugs & Support board I am having a naff time at the moment, but feeling positive right this second.

Best wishes

Nell

Comment

Sorry to hear that, Nell - I've posted on the Hugs & Support thread
                  Helen

Comment

Working...
                  X