Extra parochial liberty?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extra parochial liberty?

I am trying to figure out if the William Underwood born 1821 in Melton Mowbray is mine. His mother passed away in 1823 and his father had remarried. I have a possibility of 2 census in 1841

On the top of the 1841 census, "city or borough of " is crossed out and "extra parochial liberty" is written in and "parish or township" is also crossed out and "Leicester forest east" put in,

What is meant by "extra parochial liberty" please

Sylvia
    Sylvia

Derbyshire :- Gough, Tomlinson, Fletcher, Shipley, Spencer, Calladine, Rogers, Kerry, Robotham
    Leicestershire:- Gough, Cooper, Underwood, Hearn, Inglehearn
    Staffordshire:- Robotham, Hickinbotham, Hill, Holmes

Extra parochial liberty is of course an ecclesiatical description, and refers to the fact that the area does not come under any parish, but reports directly to Leicester Forest east (I assume).

There used to be hundreds of these little extra parochial pockets all over the country, dating back centuries, when land was held by the monasteries, or abbeys. They can sometimes be hundreds of miles away from the Diocese or church authority which administered them.

Today, most extra parochials have been absorbed into the Established church and are administered just like any other parish.

OC

Comment

All I know about Leicester Forest East is that it's a service area on the M1 motorway!
      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thank you OC looks like he was working for a farmer as a male servant. if thats him.

Is there no forest left there Uncle Jim

Sylvia
        Sylvia

Derbyshire :- Gough, Tomlinson, Fletcher, Shipley, Spencer, Calladine, Rogers, Kerry, Robotham

Comment

No, there hasn't been a forest there for a long time

Comment

Thank you Mary

Sylvia
            Sylvia

Comment

Here's a bit of background info

Leicestershire Villages - Braunstone - Leicester Forest History

Leicester Forest was a "peculiar" in that it was extra parochial, and owned directly by the Crown, not by any ecclesiatic authority.

Unfortunately, these Peculiars were not obliged to keep any form of records, although most of them did, and as they were outside the ecclesiatical law, they could set their own rules for marriage, making Peculiars very popular places of marriage for runaways and bigamists!

OC

Comment

Thank you for that link OC, will have a good look though tomorrow when i`m not tired, i see they have a forum too.

Sylvia
                Sylvia

Comment

Originally posted by Ozzie Gert View Post
                  Is there no forest left there Uncle Jim
                  Who's Jim?

The nearest place of note is Bradgate Park, now owned by Leicester Council. It's a huge country estate, in which is a ruined mansion where Lady Jane Grey lived.
                  Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

My appologies Uncle John, was too tired to think straight last night.

*note to self, must not ask questions late at night*

Thank you anyway

Sylvia
                    Sylvia

Comment

Working...
                    X