No announcement yet.

1861 Census - Part of Brighton missing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1861 Census - Part of Brighton missing?

I am tidying up my White family tree, and I don't have a census entry for my 2xgt grandfather William Edward White.

In March 1862 he married Elizabeth Stilwell in Brighton, and he was a Draper's Assistant at the time. I'm pretty sure he would have been in Brighton for the 1861 census.

I seem to remember discovering that parts of Brighton were missing for the 1861 census. Is that so, and where would I have found this information?

I want to make a note of it.
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Elizabeth

Generally bits about missing pieces from censuses are found under the relevant census info pages.

I can't see anything for Brighton, but this is the page giving the enumeration districts:

1861 England Census - Ancestry.co.uk

It's quite possible that your chap wasn't in Brighton the year before he married.

I sympathise. I have a chap missing in 1841. I know he was in Chelmsford for years before and afterwards and I've been through all the umpteen pages of Chelmsford census without spotting him.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Aaah, I have found my own answer (further on in my notes)!:o

"In March 1862, at the time of his marriage, William was living at 45 Norfolk Road Brighton, and was working as a Draper’s Assistant.

From the 1881 census, it can be seen that Norfolk Road was in the Palace District.

For 1861, the following is missing in Brighton:
      601 - All of Palace, sub to Brighton District, Sussex

It is highly likely that William was living at 45 Norfolk Road Brighton at the time of the census, but impossible to prove."
      Elizabeth
      Research Interests:
      England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
      Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

aha!

googled and found list of missing 1861 pieces, this is the only one for Brighton

"601 Sussex Brighton The Palace (3) Brighton "

so not sure it would have included your ancestor!

source: Family History UK - Free UK Genealogy - Missing pages of the 1861 Census

Comment

Tee hee! You can always tell your family that he was living AT the palace!

Comment

*blushes in shame*

its in our Wiki!

Comment

Nell, Many thanks! You are always a great help for these situations.

I expect I asked this question before. :o And I should have looked in the Wiki!

It's a rainy day and I'm hoping to tidy up my notes for various lines. It beats doing the ironing!
              Elizabeth
              Research Interests:

Comment

Nell, surely you remember how much time and effort Merry put into compiling that list many moons ago?!
                KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

*hangs head even lower in shame*

What's worse is that I have been using the Wiki much more recently and have found it so much simpler to use, so no excuse at all really.

But Elizabeth didn't look either, Miss!! I think she should stand in the corner with me.

Comment

LOL, Nell!

Yes, I need the dunce's hat too, and should write 100 lines:
                    "I must look in the Wiki before asking unnecessary questions."

:D
                    Elizabeth
                    Research Interests:

Comment

Ok, I think we've been punished enough. It's coffee time!

Comment

Working...
                      X