Tip: if you are stuck or bored

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tip: if you are stuck or bored

go back to your files and re-read them. Start looking for gaps in information. I've just done this with several strands of family and found baptisms, marriages, deaths and census entries.

Either my search techniques have got better, or more info has been added to the databases or both, but I've filled in quite a few blanks.

One census chap badly mistranscribed has been corrected by someone since I last looked, so that was a help.

Also, other bits of info you've collected since originally looking may just be the aids you need to look again.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

A good tip Nell! Several times I've been on the point of appealing for help on the boards and have written out out everything I know re the problem ready to post when lo and behold I've found I can solve it myself! Which, quite frankly is far more satisfying!
    Sue

Comment

Yes, very good tip. I've been going through every entry in my tree systematically for what seems like forever, checking each one to see what extra information I can add, and it's helped me add lots to my tree.
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Yes, I too find it's really useful to keep checking through for gaps.

Although not essential, I do like to have a full census run for everyone - sometimes a visitor is a useful clue and turns out to be a long-lost rellie, or there's a grand-child staying, or a different place of birth is given.

There's always something we can chase up.

Jay
        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

A very good tip. I am constantly amazed at what I miss on documents I already possess. And relooking sometimes produces an answer that has been staring me in the face for sometimes years. I have filled a few gaps this way myself. Seeing the information in a Family History Programme, rather than on bits of paper helps to plug gaps as well. Just done OH's on computer and now know where his gaps are!

Janet
          Last edited by Janet; 25-05-08, 10:16.

Comment

Yes, I've gone through various notes I've written along the lines of
            "perhaps this is X's sister?* and with my current knowledge I've been able to say either "of course it is!" or "of course it isn't!"

Comment

I went back to the very beginning of my research recently and spotted that I'd never looked for children from a particular line that were born & died between census dates. There were 4 of them, and the death of one occcurred far from the family home, but in a place where there are other people of the same surname which gives me a new area to look at.

Comment

I started a "first principles" rerun of my tree some time ago when I found I had so much duff and unproven info., mostly from imported GEDCOMs. I also have a close look at sources when I get enquiries through GR. One stimulus last year was looking for the source of (Scottish) MIL's middle name. I found it eventually - her great-grandmother's maiden name.
                Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

I go back and revisit my notes fairly regularly. I have an alphabetical file and when I find or receive information that I cannot relate to my tree, I pop it in the file and then at a later date go through it systematically re-checking. It's surprising how information that had no relation to my tree even 3 months ago suddenly makes sense now.

Like Janet in Yorkshire, I always try to have a full census list, along with a paper copy; it's surprising how many times a visitor has been the key to finding a marriage/relation etc.

Terri

Comment

Entering my tree manually on Tribal Pages was the spur to tieing (sp? that doesn't look right!) up some loose ends and finding the holes.

I'm a bit stuck at the moment as I can't get Ancestry images to load, just when I decided to do a find-them-or-die-in-the-attempt search for one or two relatives who have eluded capture so far.

OC

Comment

Tying doesn't look right either.
                      Tyeing
                      t

Comment

Oooh, the dictionary says it's TYING - and that doesn't look right, either!

OC

Comment

I know. I can't think, son hasn't come with my chocolate yet!

Comment

Hi

I've just been doing some tidying up and double checking on my tree. I have found about 4 people on ancestry who are in the WW1 army records. It has really helped. Now Ancestry won't let me look at the pages so I am getting fed up.

Going fine until about 10 mins ago.

Will go on the wiki and see if I can find any churches that belong to my ancestors and put them on my tree.

I will not be defeated!!

Lin
                            Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

havihose ends as young a dead lap top is a good way to tie up loose ends as you have to go person incase your back fails..........

Comment

*eyes Peppie cautiously and backs carefully off the thread*

OC

Comment

I'm glad you said that, I thought it must be me ...

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                                    *eyes Peppie cautiously and backs carefully off the thread*

OC
                                    New lap top has an odd mouse pad........... lol:D

Comment

This reminds me. I must file my hardcopy. I don't really have a filing system, it's mainly several piles of paper.

I know roughly where things are until my OH insists I tidy up whereupon it all merges into one heap.

You could say that is an improvement as I now know exactly where something is - it is that heap. This is true until I generate some more hardcopy!

Hugo

Comment

Originally posted by Hugo View Post
                                        I know roughly where things are until my OH insists I tidy up whereupon it all merges into one heap.
                                        Me too :D:D
                                        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
                                        X