Norfolk help please - I can't see the wood for the trees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Norfolk help please - I can't see the wood for the trees

I keep going from Family Search to FreeREG to the Norfolk Transcription Archive to the Norfolk Baptism Project on this one but I can't find the links to tie this lot together - can anybody help, please?

OH's ancestor Maria VINCENT in 1841:
    Burnham Norton, Norfolk
    Edmund Vincent 60 Parish Clerk Y
    Susan Do 60 Y
    Maria Do 18 Y
    Charlotte Do 20 Y
    Susan Do 30 Y
    Ann Do 25 Y
    ----
    Charlotte Do 5 Y
    Robert Anniss 25 Y
    Francis Plumb 20 Y

Maria married Robert Annis October 20th 1843, at Burnham Norton church. She was a spinster of full age and no father's details are given for her, although it does give the name of Robert's father. It was only the second marriage cert that the curate had filled in, and the first one he filled in also gives no details for the bride's father but does have the name of the groom's father. Witnesses at Maria and Robert's wedding were Ann Vincent and Susan Powell. When Ann got married the following year, Susan Powell was also one of her witnesses - so is that Susan Vincent junior married to a Mr. Powell? If so, then I haven't found their marriage.

Charlotte who is 20 in 1841 and Ann were both baptised at Burnham Norton and their parents were Edmund and Susan(na). Charlotte was baptised in 1818 and Ann in 1816. There was also Christiana baptised 1814, died 1827, William baptised in 1820 and Simon baptised in 1821. And I've found baptisms on FreeREG at Brancaster for a Thomas in 1809 and Rebecca in 1810, parents named as Edmund Vincent and Susanna Withers, and they match up with a Thomas and Rebecca who died in Burnham Norton - Thomas married Sarah Smith in 1834 and they had a daughter Charlotte in 1835 who must be the younger Charlotte who is with Edmund and Susan in 1841. Sarah died in 1837, Thomas died in 1840 and poor little Charlotte died in 1844. Rebecca died in 1832.

There is a marriage on the IGI at Burnham Westgate, 13 Oct 1801, Edmon Kinson and Susanna Withers. A couple of the children's baptisms at Burnham Norton have the surname Winson crossed out and Vincent written in. There is a Robert Vincent a few years older than Edmund whose name is given as Robert Vincent or Winson on some of the entries for his children, too. And I think I saw the name Vinson as a variation too, so my guess is that "Edmon Kinson" is a mistranscription of "Edmund Vinson" or Winson.

The 1851 census gives Edmund's birthplace as Warham and Susan's as Stibbard. Edmund is 75 and Susan 72 on that one.

Maria's birthplace on later censuses is 1851 - Lynn, 1861 - Burnham Norton, 1871 - King's Lynn, 1881 Brancaster (but I think her birthplace was swapped with her husband's on that one as his says Lynn), 1891 - King's Lynn, 1901 - Burnham Norton. Her year of birth varies quite a bit but I would think her age is likely to be most accurate on the 1841 census where it says 18.

So, I'm thinking she may have been an illegitimate daughter of one of Edmund and Susan's daughters, but it would have to be one who was born between 1801 and 1808. Can anybody find any extra children for them? I really need to find out exactly how Maria is linked to this family!
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

KiteRunner

I see your predicament. I wonder if investigating settlement papers would help? It appears Edmund & Susan moved from Burnham Westgate to Brancaster and then to Burnham Norton.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Oh dear - what a muddle. My head is reeling, so I don't know what yours must be like!

Norfolk Surnames List

Someone on here has an interest in Vincent in Burnham Norton - if all else fails, is it worth mailing him?

Jay
      Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. One idea I keep having but then forgetting why I was doing it is to try to trace Susan jr after 1841 - I suspect she must be "Susan Powell" but if so, I haven't managed to find her marriage or find her on the later censuses yet. What I was wondering was if we could find out where she (Susan jr) was born, then it would tell us where we might look for the missing baptisms.
        KiteRunner

Comment

Sorry - not having much success with Susan Powell either.

(Just so you don't feel we are all "abandoning" you.)
          Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

There is a single Susan Powell in 1841 and 51 b 1818 Burnham Westgate. Could she be the witness? Might explain why you can't find a marriage.

Jackie
            Jackie

Comment

Oh, dear, even more trees!

Comment

I have seen her on the censuses but I don't know why she would be a witness at those marriages. Still, it could be her, but then what did happen to the Susan(na) Vincent who is with Edmund and Susan in 1841?
                KiteRunner

Comment

Well she might have been a family friend, or bridesmaid/maid of honour. Or she could be related but more distantly, perhaps a cousin?

Comment

Yes, I think I'd better leave her alone for the time being - I keep getting sidetracked down that kind of path and forget what I'm supposed to be looking for!
                    KiteRunner

Comment

Working...
                    X