Lost Rellie, Can anyone help, please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost Rellie, Can anyone help, please

Hi everyone, haven't been on here for a while and would like to say the site is looking great with loads of info.

I'm looking for a my Great Uncle Jim. He was born on 15 Oct 1915 in shoreditch (I have found his birth records). Full name is James Arthur Barnes. Due to a family row, my grandfather lost touch with him. As far as I know he didn't marry, but could have done when he lost touch with the family. My father believes that he was last known in either the Channel Islands or Scotland. I know he had died by 1997 due to some family research that was done by a solicitors re a family estate. Has anyone got any ideas where I could start looking for this rellie as I would love to know if he did get married and had children. I'm thinking that if I could get a copy of his death cert as confimration the person informing might lead me to a 'lost' part of my family?

Grateful for any advice anyone has.

Thanks

Claire
    Claire Bear

Researching-Barnes, Nicholls, Thomas, Brown, Blundell, Scrase

This is the nearest I could find on Scotlands People. I don't think it's him, no middle name and a year out with death.

James Barnes born 1916 died 1998 in Glasgow.

Scottish marriages are only searchable on line until 1932.

Jan

Comment

Well he isn't in the transcribed death index 1984-2005 on Ancestry - and he could still be alive, so you shouldn't really post details here.

After going to Scotland and/or the Channel Islands he could have gone anywhere and unfortunately he doesn't have a distinctive name so you could be sure if you find a death before the actual birth date was put in the index would be him.

I have Barnes on both my Mum and Dad's side of the family, its really quite widespread.

I wonder if the solicitors might have any details - and if they'd tell you if they did?
      Unfortunately the government's Traceline service seems to have been withdrawn.

Are there any other family members or descendants of family members who might have further information?
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

You could try searching the National Probate Calendar to see if he left a will or an estate that went to administration - but I think you would have to go to a probate office to do the search, since you don't have a date of death to give the office in York for them to search.
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Thanks everyone for your help. I guess I'll just have to keep looking and see if I can come up with a breakthrough. Have checked with other members of the family no-one knows what happened to him. We didn't even know he had a middle name until I found it on his fathers WW1 service records. So I will follow up the Glasgow death, Thanks Jan.
          I'll also have to check to see if anyone else in the family has a copy of the family tree that was drawn up by the solicitors, I only have the beneficiaries of the will, which has helped me greatly with my research, but typically no-one kept the solicitors details!

Oh well, these puzzles can sometimes be frustrating and rewarding, that why we do it isn't it?

Thanks

Claire
          Claire Bear

Researching-Barnes, Nicholls, Thomas, Brown, Blundell, Scrase

Comment

Working...
          X