If at first you dont succeed, try and try again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If at first you dont succeed, try and try again

Yes thats right, not all living unknown relatives start their research at the same time as you.

During the 5/6 years I have been researching my tree I have found an unknown living relative for 3 out of my 4 Grandparents surnames, that is until a couple of weeks ago.

Yes thats right all of a sudden I have found a previously unknown living relative connected to my Nan's maiden surname.

I am absolutely over the moon, she is willing to share information with me (currently sending on photocopies of photos of people related to my Great Grandfather). Her Great Grandmother is my Great Grandfathers sister so we share a Great Great Grandfather. She even has written memoirs of the family.

I in turn have emailed certs that I have and will be sharing more. Maybe she will have the answer which will help me in finding the burial place of my Great Grandfather who I have been struggling with for years.

A Very Happy.....
    Fi, aka Wheelie Spice

Why not learn British Sign Language: BritishSignLanguage.com; An Online Guide to British Sign Language

that's wonderful and so encouraging .... I live in hope of finding somebody who can tell me who my gt gt grandparents' parents and siblings were.

I think that makes you and your relative 3rd cousins

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Great news, Fi.

Thanks for posting - we all like a happy ending!
      Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Thats great news Fi, well done.
        Lynn

Comment

Fi

A very similar thing happened to me. I was pm'd about midnight when I was just about to switch off.

Someone on GR wanted to know if I had James Holden, born 1860, in my tree. The contact was his descendant and gave a few forward details.

Couldn't be my man, as my James died unmarried. I had his death cert and his burial place which had a headstone and I also had a TD entry in 1900, when he lived with his brother and brother's wife. I also had verbal information from my father and his brother that James had never married and had died relatively young - 40, in fact. So I think I can be excused for never looking for a wife.

Contact thanked me and asked if I would just mind confirming that my James was NOT the son of James Holden and Ellen Grimshaw, born at Percival St, Miles Platting.

I fell over....yes, this was the same man. Contact then gave me his phone number and I phoned him there and then. We were on the phone for hours.

The Trade Directory was out of date by a year. James married in 1899 and died in 1900, leaving a widow, pregnant with twins. My contact was a descendant of one of the twins.

We have exchanged information and photos and I now have details of a branch of the family I never knew existed. We are both very puzzled as to why there is absolutely no mention of a much-loved wife on the family headstone, especially as my GGF, who was James' brother, helped to financially support James' widow and children for many years.

What was really spooky though - he knew all about us, from his grandmother, certainly up to the 1960s. So SOMEONE in my family was having contact but had never thought to tell anyone else!

In fact, my father had visited the twins on several occasions (they were grown up by then) but had not realised who they were, I suppose.

OC

Comment

Fi - thanks for posting good news. Hope your contact and you have a fruitful exchange of info.

OC - very spooky!
            ~ with love from Little Nell~
            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Working...
            X