• Show
Clear All

• 1901 lookup please

Hi everyone

Can anyone find this family in the 1901 census:

John Firth born 1865
    Eliza Firth wife born 1865
    George Laurence Firth born 1890

In 1891 they lived in Hunslet Leeds. John was a brewer.

Following on from that and if it is not being greedy, can anyone find a death for John and a marriage George Laurence Firth.

Many Thanks

Brenda

Could this be them?

RG13; Piece: 3736; Folio: 143; Page: 26
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

19 Sunnyside Street, Salford, Lancs
      [4 rooms]
      John Firth 36 brewer's carter b Leeds
      Eliza Firth 36 wife b Leeds
      George Firth 11 b Leeds
      Walter Firth 4 b Salford
      Fred Firth 2 b Salford
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Likeliest looking death

John Edward Firth abt 1865 1908 Apr-May-Jun Salford 8d p.74

Comment

There are lots of George Firth marriages between 1901-1921, but none for George Laurence (or even George L.) Firth and none in Salford.

Comment

Wow..That was quick....

That does look like them in 1901. I forget to say that John has a middle initial of W, so that death does not look like him.

I hope I am on the right trail here, the only thing I have doubts about is that in 1881 John was a Drapers Apprentice and he came from a faily well to do background, so a bit unusual to become a Brewer I would think.

Could be that the John Firth that I have in 1891 is not the right one.I do not have access to the 1891 census, so wondered if it was possible for another check to be done to see if there is a John W occupation something to do with Drapery in the 1891 census.

Thanks

Brenda

Comment

1891 cencus
              John's occupation -brewer
              Elaine

Comment

Sorry - have I misunderstood you. Do you want us to find a John Firth with a drapery occupation?
                Elaine

Comment

Whoever registered John's death might not have bothered with his middle name. You cannot rely on accuracy on anything. I've just found a marriage with an invented middle name, and I have dozens of examples of marriages where people didn't use middle names. Death certs are the least reliable as most likely to be registered by someone who may not know full facts or may be in a state of shock/grief and not worrying about details.

Not saying what I found is your chap, just the most likely, assuming he stayed in Salford.

Of course if he was born 1865ish he could have lived well into the 1940s or beyond, so won't be on the transcribed indexes at all.

Comment

As for change of occupation - there are plenty of instances of people changing occupation for many reasons. Maybe he never wanted to be a draper but was apprenticed by his parents. Or he may have found brewing more financially rewarding. (People might cut back on clothing/soft furnishings in hard times, but people will always want to drink beer).

Comment

Another thought is why move from Yorkshire to Lancs?

Comment

Yes, I agree and thanks for all that info.

It is just that he did come from a well to do background.His father was a Company Manager

The other positive thing is that the son has the name George, which was the middle name of Johns father.

Sorry Elaine in Spain, it is just that I never thought to ask if there was a John Firth in the 1891 census with an occupation connected to Drapery.

Unfortunately Firth is a very common name in Leeds.

Once I have accumulated this information I would like to come back and ask for info about another Firth son.

Thanks for the very quick replies.

Brenda

Comment

I have had a look at the 1891 census and can find no John Firth born c1865 Leeds who is a Draper, so it looks as if he changed his occupation.
                          Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Hi Wendy...yes I think that you are right, anyway I have sent for the will of mother Elizabeth, so maybe that will shed some light on other family members.

There was another brother called Francis and I cannot find any trace of him after 1881.I will make a new posting for Francis I think.

Thanks for helping

Brenda

Comment

Hi

I think I have made a mistake with the birth year of John William Firth. In the 1871 census he is down as being 7 years old, which is how I got to 1865, (should be 1864 actually) but I have found him on IGI and he was born 23rd December 1863, would this make any difference to the lookups that you did in the 1891 census.

Sorry about this

Brenda

Comment

Are you SURE that the 1871 John is the same as the one you've found on the IGI>

I ask because there's a John Firth b. 1863 with wife Ann in 1891, born and living in Hunslet. He's a book keeper with two daughters, Maud 4 and Isabella 7 months.

Comment

Hi Little Nell

Firstly I am sure the John William in IGI is the correct one, as the parents are correct, so birth year is 1863

In 1871 he is down as being 7 years old, so should have been 8 years I think, but there were discrepancies sometimes, and parents on this census were correct.

In 1881 he is found in Halifax as a Drapers apprentice, so I believe everything to be correct up to here.

I am not convinced that the Brewer John is the correct one in 1891, because I know the family background and also now the birth year is out. It is more likely to be the one you have found, his occupation is more in keeping with the family circumstances, and Hunslet is in the vicinity of the rest of the family.

Was this the only John William in 1891, I only ask because he seems to have changed occupations.

Is it possible to find him in 1901, that could maybe give a clue as well.

I even toyed with idea that he might have died, but could not find a death for John W in the Yorkshire BMD.

If there are no other John williams born 1863 then I am quite happy to send for the marriage certificate, that would confirm parents...or not.

Thanks a lot for your help

Brenda

Comment

The John with Ann & daughters is the only one born Hunslet 1863. It doesn't give a middle name.

Comment

Cannot find any John Firth born Hunslet in 1901.
                                      No sign of Isabella or Maud either.

Comment

Thank you both for looking, I think that is as far as we can go on this one, as I said before..unfortunately there are a lot of Firths in the Leeds area.

I will see what Elizabeths will turns up, maybe some clues there.

Cheers

Brenda

Comment

Working...
                                        X