Elijah's gone AWOL - suggestions, please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elijah's gone AWOL - suggestions, please

Elijah Finch, baptised Horningtoft, Norfolk July 1838. No known middle name.
    1841 & 51 at home with his parents.

1859 married to Susan Bridger in Horningtoft (she was born c1828, so is 10 years older than Elijah.)
    1861 both are living in Horningtoft - Elijah was an ag lab. No children.

1871 - Susan is alone in Horningtoft - claims she's married and an ag lab's wife. No children.

1881-91 Susan has moved to Fakenham and says she is a widow.

I can't find MY Elijah in any census after 1861.

No burial in Horningtoft 1861 - 1880
    No death registration for an Elijah Finch of the right age and reg dist on GRO index 1861 - 1881
    No likely death on FreeBMD 1861 - 1920.

Any ideas, please?
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Janet

Hm. That's a puzzler. It looks like he ought to have died and been buried in Horningtoft. But you've checked that and all the death indexes. I can't offer any suggestions, I'm afraid. I suppose its possible he was buried elsewhere -maybe where there was already a family grave - and misindexed.

Or perhaps he was ill and in an institution and only appears on census by initials?
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Thankyou for your response Nell.

I've considered jail and institutions, which is why I tried FreeBMD as far as it goes, although I realise it isn't complete.

He's not in either the USA or Canada for 1880/81 census and I haven't spotted him on a shipping list as yet.

I thought he could have been working away from home in 1871 when Susan still claims to be married, However, by that time age at death is included at registration and there is NOTHING near his age at all.

Not many Elijah Finch's, so it SHOULD, theoretically, be relatively easy to find him
      Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Working...
      X