Church in Halton, Runcorn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Church in Halton, Runcorn

The church is high on a hill with the graveyard at the foot of the hill. In the church is a stained glass window with the surname HADDOCK. This is my OH's maiden name and her grandparents are buried there.

We would like to visit the church and graveyard when in England but we don't know where it is in Halton and who to contact about getting access.

Can anyone help, please.

Is this it, Hugo?

St. Mary's Church, Halton village
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

It definitely looks as if it is on top of a hill in this one:

Detailed Record

You don't usually need to contact anybody about getting access to a graveyard, just turn up and look around. As for the actual church, this link should take you to a page which includes the contact details for St Mary's:
      Church Leaders in Runcorn and Widnes | Halton Borough Council
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Many thanks, Kite Runner.

St Mary's does look promising and I will follow up your lead to the church leaders.

Hugo

PS I am impressed with the speed of your reply!

Comment

I'm a little confused as I would have agreed with Kite about that being the right church, but.........

Quote from Genuki..........

HALTON
          A township and chapelry in Runcorn Parish, Bucklow Hundred (SJ 5381). In 1884 and 1936 parts of Halton were transferred to Runcorn civil parish, and the remainder was added to Runcorn in 1967.

Above is fair enough, but then....

Halton, St. Mary the Virgin (C of E). Founded 1732 as a chapel to Runcorn All Saints, created a separate parish in 1860 serving the townships of Clifton, Halton, Norton and Stockham and part of Runcorn. Registers of Baptisms 1732-1971 and Marriages 1733-49 & 1860-2001 have been deposited at the Cheshire Record Office (no burials here).

Comment

hi hugo...i can see runcorn from my house...try Weston Point...this is the highest part of Runcorn...check out the churches in Weston Point and i can always pop over the bridge and get you the info required...allan..ADDED...just noticed Merrys posting..weston point is the area CLIFTON is under..in fact the little valley is known as cliftonville
            Last edited by garstonite; 23-05-08, 11:21.
            Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
            oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
            adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
            merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
            coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

Allan, I think it's best if you pop round and check all the windows for Haddocks! lol

Comment

Merry

There are two ways of reading that, I think, and one interpretation is that there are no RECORDS of burials held at Cheshire RO, not that there were no burials at the church.

OC

Comment

Good point!

The photos of it (there's a good one on Genuki) suggest that if there have been burials, there are either no gravestones, or only on the side that can't be seen in the photo. Also, there is a rather large car park covering what once might have been green...............

Comment

The PRs for this church are listed as filmed in the LDS library, but annoyingly, there is no detail given, so I can't tell if they include any burials or not!

OC

Comment

An update.

I have the list of church leaders (thanks again Kite Runner) and am trying to contact the Rev Ann Samuels at St Mary's Vicarage in Castle Road.

Our information is the the hill was so steep that the burial ground was at the bottom of the hill, This would explain why there are no gravestones visible.

Sylvia tells me she last visited the area about 80 years ago to see a great aunt of her father's, who lived in a cottage in Pump Lane. There was a pump just outside the cottage.

Hugo

Comment

Hello Hugo and All,

My reading of this would be that there weren't any burials at St Mary's, Halton rather than the registers not being at Cheshire RO (may be wrong of course!)

Is it possible that they were buried at Halton Cemetery? There is a link here so you may be able to contact them and find out:
                        Cemetery Opening Hours | Halton Borough Council

I don't know Halton very well, but Frodsham Parish Church (St Lawrence) is at the top of a hill and the burial ground slopes steeply at the back of the church....

Jean
                        CHS: Barber(Tabley) Barlow(Antrobus) Blackshaw(Lymm, Mobberley) Blease/Done/Moore(G Bud) Owen(Netherton, Tabley) Spragg/Witter(Goostrey) Youd(Frodsham) Pennell Bankes Birchall Beckett
                        DBY: Higginbottom(Mellor)
                        HRT: Gurney
                        HRT/BED/ESS: Verney (Markyate St)
                        LAN: Davenport(Bolton) Schofield/Gurney(Oldham) Lord(Heap) Quinn(Manchester) Sutcliffe(Rossendale)
                        NTH: Tubb/Johnson(Hellidon)Brown(Kettering)
                        YKS: Scott(Clapham)

Comment

An update.

St Mary's seems a strong possibility. Using the list of church leaders (thanks to Kite Runner for this reference), I am still trying to contact the Rev Anne Samuels at the Vicarage, Castle Road, Halton Village.

Sylvia was told by her father that 'the hill up to the church was so steep they put the burial ground at the bottom'. This could explain why there are no gravestones to be seen in the picture of the church.

She has just told me that the last time she was in Halton it was about 80 years ago when she visited a great-aunt of her father's. She lived in Pump Lane. The pump was just outside her cottage.

Hugo

Comment

Sorry about the repeat 'update' post. I thought the first one had got lost. It has been that sort of day for me!

Hugo

Comment

I don't know Halton very well, but Frodsham Parish Church (St Lawrence) is at the top of a hill and the burial ground slopes steeply at the back of the church....
                              I got married at St Lawrences and it is not steep although the graveyard may be at the back.
                              If memory serves, there is a church high on a hill at Weston Village I thinkand it looks over ICI and River Mersey.
                              Jean

To forget your ancestors is to be a brook without a source, a tree without a root....

Comment

jean...thats the church i was thinking about...but thats the opposite side of Runcorn to Halton village....
                                hugo...castle road is the road leading to Norton Castle...also on a steep hill.....i have a friend who lives there,i`ll see if i can get some info from him...allan;)
                                Last edited by garstonite; 23-05-08, 21:21.
                                Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
                                oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
                                adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
                                merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
                                coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

I knew you would know Allan - I get lost in and around Runcorn with the expressways - have been known to spend and hour or two driving down the bus lanes
                                  Jean

To forget your ancestors is to be a brook without a source, a tree without a root....

Comment

SUCCESS - I think.

Have been in touch with St Mary's and that is it.

Many thanks everyone.

Now as regards my Irish ancestors . . . .

Hugo

Comment

Working...
                                    X