marriage in 1877,help please,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• marriage in 1877,help please,

I have my ggg grandfather and ggg grandmothers wedding off Lancsbmd.
    carl freidrich sacht and mary ellen jones 1877.in st peters Liverpool
    I would like to find out Mary Ellen Jones`s parents from the 1871 census...I CAN purchase the marriage certificate to find mary`s parents,but ,without being mean,do you think in a village Garstons size in 1871,ther would be more than 1 Mary Ellen Jones??..or am I being naive?...allan
    added..mary was b abt 1860
    Last edited by garstonite; 23-05-08, 08:12.
    Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
    oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
    adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
    merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
    coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Searching the 1871 census for Mary Jones born Liverpool c1860 +/- 2 years gives 73 results, 12 of which are Mary E Jones or Mary Ellen Jones.
    Elaine

Comment

Allan, with a name like Jones it is so easy to go wrong - you really do need to get the certificate. And don't forget that people's names on the census aren't always the same as their names on their certificates.
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

good morning Elaine...I may have jumped the gun a bit there...marys first born was Sophia Sacht...can`t find her on familysearch or lancsbmd..she was born in 1878...so stating Mary Ellen Jones was born about 1860 may be a little out...her husband Carl was born 1846 in Heligoland..if we could find them on the 1881 census,we might be able to work out what year Mary was born and where...they also had another daughter Adelaide b 1880....certain they were in Garston in 1881...his name was SCHACHT on previous census(he was on a ship in Grimsby dock with his father Johann Schacht)
        but for some reason when he married it became SACHT....so i`m looking for
        Carl F Sacht
        Mary Sacht
        Sophia Sacht
        Adelaide Sacht..........in 1881 census to find Mary`s year of birth...there are 138 mary jones births on familysearch from 1850-1860...none in Liverpool.
        on Lancs BMD there are about 25 Mary ellen jones ..none from Liverpool...i`m A LITTLE STUCK HERE,COULD DO WITH SOME HELP...ALLAN
        Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire

Comment

I found them on the 1901 census Alan, and Mary was recorded as being born 1861 Liverpool, if I remember correctly!

Sorry I have to go out soon so cannot follow this up at the moment. If no one else helps out then I'll have a look when I get back - although I expect someone will be along with all the info you require in the meantime!
          Elaine

Comment

thanks elaine....i`ll try and find her ...1861 Liverpool...thats a bonus...it would be nice if she was a garston girl.......allan

Comment

Allan

I think this is them in 1891 if its any help (transcribed as Dachs)

RG12 piece 3004 folio 77 pages 37 and 38

Carl is now Charles Dachs b 1846 Germany (mariner)
              Mary E b 1860 Liverpool
              Sophia W 1879 Liverpool
              Adelaide E 1881 Liverpool

Jackie
              Jackie

Comment

thanks jackie...yes thats them..but you`ve now given me another little puzzler...Sophia was my dads nan,and a well known character in Garston.she used to go around with large baskets of prawns ,selling them door to door...her sister ADELAIDE ELIZABETH.i have..only have SOPHIA.(not sophia w).So what does the W stand for???...allan

Comment

She doesn't seem to have a middle name on her birth registration - Sophia Sacht Sep 1878 West Derby. Nor on her marriage registration.
                  KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                  (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I would be worried that I might not find the right Mary E Jones even WITH the marriage cert!!

You 100% need it! (you KNOW it makes sense! lol)

Comment

With the close proximity of Wales to Liverpool Mary Jones' are all over the place. I have a Mary Jones who married my GGG Grandfather, All I know from census is she was born in 1860 in Liverpool. It is the next cert for me to order so that I can find out her fathers name and occupation - fingers crossed she is not illigitimate !!!
                      Vikki -
                      Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

Comment

sorry about the delay...electrician came to do the 12 monthly safety check,and I had to switch off computer...so..i have posted this on GR as well....merry...i am definitely going to purchase cert when i go into Liverpool...in the meantime..someone on GR has found Mary Ellen Jones b 1860..christening at St Michaels,Liverpool....thats our family church in GARSTON...so i`m convinced they`ve found her..they found her on familysearch pedigree...but I can`t find her..i can only find 2 in Liverpool..both 1858 and neither at St Michaels....could someone else have a look please...and why can`t I find her on familysearch...i`m doing something wrong here...allan:o:o:o

Comment

Family Search Pedigree? I wonder if they meant a Pedigree Resource File? (I never even look at those normally, as ¾ are probably fictitious!), but I can't find a Mary Ellen there.....

Why would you think she is bound to have been baptised at a particular church? After all, she didn't know who she was going to marry, so she (or her parents!) wouldn't have known you wanted her "kept in the family"!! lol

Comment

If you just ask for Mary Jones and the year 1860 and don't restrict the country (which I did the first time, to cut out the Welsh lot!) then there are two entries for the same person bap in Liverpool, but I don't think it can be the one your contact saw as there's no mention of which church. In any case, this one is named Mary Jane and she died in 1936 in America, which I guess counts her out completely! lol

Comment

merry...its an old village and the chances of mary ellen being born in Garston are high...GARSTONIANS SEEMED TO MARRY GARSTONIANS...(no-one else would have them...ha ha(except german sailors evidently)lol..allan

Comment

lolol!

Comment

ok merry...i`ve found the christening of a Mary Ellen Jones in St Michaels Liverpool on august 5th 1860...father David mother Mary...(this is our family Garston church)..on igi..familysearch (search for ancestors)...so why didn`t this come up on the other familysearch.org????...i`m puzzled.....allan

Comment

It is there, but it isn't a pedigree resource file, so I was looking in the wrong place. It's on the IGI as an extracted entry, number 253 of 375 for 1860.

Comment

I can't see them on the census yet.

Comment

Always supposing David is the correct father and you are following the right line....!

1871 Liverpool
                                        RG10/3778/136/34

David Jones lodger 38 Dock labourer
                                        Mary E wife 41 Hull Yorks
                                        Robert A son 5 liverpool
                                        Mary E dau 12 liverpool

I can't yet see these in 1861 but I'll have another look now I've found them in 71.

OC

Comment

Working...
                                        X