can i ask for help for molly who hopefully

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can i ask for help for molly who hopefully

will be joining tomorr0w,she had problems today ,so she is going to try tomorrow.her name is mary williams but she goes by (molly)

could someone please start her off on a search for william douglas dahl,born 1894,in liverpool ,was in merchant navy,his father was andrew douglas dahl, william married a ellen ryan both were 22 when married in liverpool,his wife as also born in liverpool.

i thought if i could start her off as she has just started to do her family tree.
    she is concerned she wont be able to find her way around the threads,so i have told her i will talk her through on the phone.thankyou brenda xxx;)

No middle name here:

Name: William Dahl
    Year of Registration: 1894
    Quarter of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep
    District: Liverpool (1837-1934)
    County: Lancashire
    Volume: 8b
    Page: 60

Comment

Bren, do you know what she wants to find out about him?
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

what happend to him after 1914 i think?,i saw her tonight and only got this little *** bit to try and get info for her for when she gets here,wow merry is on the ball lol brenda xxx

Comment

He does have a middle initial of D on his marriage registration, 1914, Liverpool Register Office or Registrar Attended (from Lancashire BMD). If she doesn't have info on Ellen's family then I would say that marriage certificate is a must because there are bound to be lots of Ellen Ryans around!
          KiteRunner

Comment

It looks as though they had at least 2 children since 2 names are coming up on FreeBMD for Dahl / Ryan births but I won't post the names up as they may still be living.
            KiteRunner

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
              He does have a middle initial of D on his marriage registration, 1914, Liverpool Register Office or Registrar Attended (from Lancashire BMD). If she doesn't have info on Ellen's family then I would say that marriage certificate is a must because there are bound to be lots of Ellen Ryans around!

hi she has the marriage certificate and this is what she just sent me
              Hi Brenda,
              here is the information i have.
              Grandfather William Douglas Dahl born Liverpool 1891,
              profession merchant seamen married 23/01/1914 age 22,
              wife Ellan Ryan also 22 at Liverpool register office.
              His father Andrew Dahl born about 1856 profession Cooper,
              wife mary, i found this on 1881 census living in Liverpool,hope you can follow this,bye Molly.

brenda xxx

Comment

It looks as though they had at least 2 children since 2 names are coming up on FreeBMD for Dahl / Ryan births but I won't post the names up as they may still be living.

would it be breaking the rules to pm me the names?if it is then thankyou anyway,how would she be able to check the same as you have found?brenda xxx

Comment

I've sent them to you in a PM, Bren - it's just that if they were posted up on a thread then Google would pick them up and everything!

There is a WW1 service record for a William Dahl on ancestry which looks as though it is the right one - I've only looked at the first few pages so far but he was age 23 when he joined up in 1915 and his occupation was Seaman, so it looks like him. No middle name, though. It seems that he was declared a deserter and then rejoined the army later. Let me know if you can't find it on there and I'll try and lead you to it!
                  KiteRunner

Comment

Mmmmmmmm This does look like Andrew in 1901 Dehl, born about the right year and place and he is a cooper but wife is now Bridget and not William with him in 1901.

RG13; Piece: 3415; Folio: 44; Page: 33
                    Fiona. xx

Comment

There's a marriage in Sep 1898, Liverpool, 8b; 222.

Andrew Dehl
                      Bridget Gaffney

Looks as though first wife Died.

p.s. also a marriage in Jun 1875, Liverpool, 8b, 451

Andrew Dehl

Mary Ellen Lythgoe or Mary Reilly

Looks like the first marriage
                      Last edited by fiona c; 22-05-08, 23:23.
                      Fiona. xx

Comment

yes she believes some hidden secret would surfice,i cant wait for her to see this info herself tomorrow,
                        got the pm kiterunner many thanks,i told her you all are so quick,brenda xxx

Comment

I've sent them to you in a PM, Bren - it's just that if they were posted up on a thread then Google would pick them up and everything!

There is a WW1 service record for a William Dahl on ancestry which looks as though it is the right one - I've only looked at the first few pages so far but he was age 23 when he joined up in 1915 and his occupation was Seaman, so it looks like him. No middle name, though. It seems that he was declared a deserter and then rejoined the army later. Let me know if you can't find it on there and I'll try and lead you to it!

im not a paid member on ancestry so would i still be able to see the info brenda xxx

Comment

I can't see any mention of next of kin in the service record on ancestry to be 100% certain it's the right one, although there are some addresses listed so hopefully one of those will match an address that your friend has on a document! Anyway, she should be prepared for some "bad behaviour" in the service record, so I hope she doesn't mind that kind of thing!
                            KiteRunner

Comment

Originally posted by brenmac View Post
                              im not a paid member on ancestry so would i still be able to see the info brenda xxx

Er, no, I don't think so, sorry. But maybe your friend will take out a free trial?
                              KiteRunner

Comment

no she said this would prove something,she said i beleive he may have changed his name and that some bad news would come of it,brenda xxx

Comment

This is Andrew and Mary in 1891 with children Thomas 9 and Andrew 5, transcibed as Dall.

RG12; Piece: 2949; Folio 49; Page 45
                                  Fiona. xx

Comment

Well, it does look as though he didn't start off with a "Douglas" in his name but added it later - but the Douglas isn't in his army records either. He seems to have been in trouble for drunkenness quite a few times as well as the temporary desertion that I mentioned, that's what I meant by "bad behaviour", but I haven't read the whole thing, so there could be more.
                                    KiteRunner

Comment

oh sounds a bit of a lad,she is exspecting some bad news in this research brenda xxx

Comment

Here's 1901 son Andrew and William with Grandmother Ann Dahl.

RG13; Piece: 3423; Folio: 148; Page: 5
                                        Fiona. xx

Comment

Working...
                                        X