What happened to Rebecca White?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happened to Rebecca White?

My 3x gt grandfather, Edward White, had a sister called Rebecca.

Rebecca White born on 2nd February 1801 at 11 pm (information from family bible). Her parents were George and Elizabeth.

Rebecca isn't married on the census entries I have found.

1841: Class: HO107; Piece 1082; Book: 3; Civil Parish: St Mary The Virgin; County: Surrey; Enumeration District: 2; Folio: 33; Page: 8; Line: 25;

She is with her mother Elizabeth, who died in 1847, and 3 other women. They are all stay-makers.

1851 Class: HO107; Piece: 1594; Folio: 511; Page: 11 She is a stay-maker in Guildford St Mary. With her is Joseph White, aged 10, her nephew, son of Edward. His mother died after he was born.

Can anyone find any trace of her after 1851? I haven't been able to find a sensible death or marriage, or any trace of her after 1851.
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

She didn't have a sister called Hannah who also didn't marry, did she? (I know you will say no!)

Comment

I take it the parents were nonconformist?

From the IGI:

Birth: 02 FEB 1801 St Mary, , Surrey, England

Christening: 05 JUN 1837 London, London, England

Parents:
      Father: George White
      Mother: Elizabeth
      Phoenix - with charred feathers
      Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Merry, No sister called Hannah, I'm afraid! :o Brothers George, Edward and William and a sister Maria.

I have traced William, but not George and Maria. (Whites area notoriously difficult!)

Phoenix, her brother Edward brought up his children as Baptists (at least my great-great-grandfather William Edward White was educated by Baptists and married in a Baptist churchin Brighton.

I hadn't thought to look for Rebecca that way - off to look! I didn't realise she wasn't christened until later!
        Elizabeth
        Research Interests:
        England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
        Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Edward White was christened on

28 FEB 1796 Saint Mary, Guildford, Surrey, England

Perhaps they became Baptist/non-conformist later on.
          Elizabeth
          Research Interests:

Comment

So....

Who is the Rebecca white, born Surrey 1805 living in Brighton in 1861?
            Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Not the one because she has a sister called Hannah with her!

Comment

Just wondering about Maria, as in Anna Maria or Hannah Maria....

Where were those sisters born? All my guesses are drawing blanks.

Comment

Merry and Phoenix,

Thanks for looking! I looked at the Brighton entry and I don't think it is her. Rebecca was the youngest. Maria was born in 1797, and I think she either married before civil registration or died.

Rebecca seems to have disappeared off the face of the earth. I would just like to know if she died or married, or what!
                  Elizabeth
                  Research Interests:

Comment

Of course there are loads of deaths if she happened to move out of area.

I have two spinster sisters on my tree who lived their whole lives in Hertfordshire, but in the last couple of years of their lives (aged over 75) they upped sticks and went to Staffordshire. I would have had no idea except for the fact their surname was a bit less common than White, they died after ages were in the index and one sister made it to the next census, in Staffs!

Comment

Elizabeth, please put me out of my misery re the Brighton entry. I don't have Ancestry, so can't check for myself. There doesn't appear to be a match for Brighton Rebecca in 1851, so where was she? what is the birthplace for her?

Comment

Her brother Edward didn't die until he was 81 in Guildford, so he would have been there for her. He was alone. Her other brother I can trace, William, died probably in Espsom in 1866, and his widow Maria died in 1884 in Epsom.

I have just found this death:
                        June qr 1870
                        White Rebecca 69 Epsom 2a 9
                        So that could be her!
                        She could have been in Epsom with brother WIlliam's family.

Where was she in 1861?
                        Elizabeth
                        Research Interests:

Comment

William White and family were in Cobham in 1861.
                          Source Citation: Class: RG9; Piece: 420; Folio: 116; Page: 12; GSU roll: 542634.

Perhaps Rebecca went there when she got older.

Cobham is in the Epsom registration district.
                          Elizabeth
                          Research Interests:

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix View Post
                            Elizabeth, please put me out of my misery re the Brighton entry. I don't have Ancestry, so can't check for myself. There doesn't appear to be a match for Brighton Rebecca in 1851, so where was she? what is the birthplace for her?
                            She and her sister, Hannah (52), were said to be born in Thames Ditton.

Comment

lol Have found Hannah White in 1851 ......she is a servant in Kingston uon Thames

(just ignore me!....I'm trying to help Phoenix!)

Comment

Phoenix, Rebecca and hannah White are on the IGI, bap Thames Ditton, parents William and Ann

Comment

One of these days I'll surrender and buy Ancestry, but its only at moments like these that I need it. I am supposed to be getting some accounts finished and this is mere distraction. I think there are some Thames Ditton people on the IGI, but that was going slow on me earlier.

Brilliant, Merry: parents William & Ann!

Comment

Working...
                                  X