advice on making a connection with living people of same surname please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• advice on making a connection with living people of same surname please

hi...if i find someone in their fifties who asks me can i try and find a connection back to the 1900`s,(we both have the same surname)how do I research this without posting living names up??....all i have is his/his wifes and his siblings names...all living....allan
    Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
    oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
    adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
    merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
    coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

I was going to say "do it yourself" but that's not very kind!! lol

Without naming names, what bit were you having trouble with??

Comment

Allan, if I were you I would ask him for more information - for instance, the names of his parents and grandparents and any useful info he has about them such as when and where they were born and when and where they died (if they are dead).
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Do you know his birthday and year?? (If you were a woman you would! lol)

Comment

If you have Ancestry and patience, then you can use the bmds, just as you would for yourself.

Hopefully the surnames or christian names are sufficiently unusual to give you a sporting chance. But the only way to get a cast iron tree is to buy certificates, or at least keep pestering him with questions, to make sure you haven't made a silly mistake. (And if he gets fed up with questions, then he wasn't really interested in the first place!)
          Phoenix - with charred feathers
          Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

thanks for your replies....i`m doing this as a favour to my brother...my sister in law is working with a woman who also married an `oakes` from Liverpool...they want to know if their husbands ancestors are related...i have the husbands dob..its 24 - 6- 1955....i`ve e-mailed my brother to ask for parents and grandparents of this man...i`m awaiting info...i`ve been burdened with this request because they think I am an expert at family tree research...its taken me 6 years to do my own family...90% of this I have gained through the help of others like yourselves...I suppose i`m best leaving this thread until I get more info...and as phoenix has stated...if he doesn`t come up with the names/dob`s of his parents/grandparents,he can`t be that bothered anyway...regards...allan
            Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
            oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
            adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
            merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
            coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

Working...
            X