Suffolk graveyards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suffolk graveyards

I am new to this sight so I don't really know where to ask for help. I would like to visit monk soham in 2 mnths time, but before this I wanted to ask if there is anyone who lives locally to monk soham, suffolk if they would look at the local cemetry (st peters anglican church) and possibly Earl Soham which is quite near for relatives of mine. That way I can look for them when I visit. If anyone can help I would be really grateful, I live down in East Sussex. Thanks again.

Hallo and welcome to the site.

I can't help - but I do know that you can traipse round cemeteries and not find anything. I don't know how large St. Peter's churchyard is, but it might be a better bet to go to the county records office and check the burial registers there. Some record offices also have plans showing where the graves are - not everyone would have had a gravestone and not every gravestone will have survived or be legible.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Thanks for answering, I am going to contact the records office but I know it might take up to 8 weeks to get the results back. I just would like to have had some idea so that when I go to suffolk hopefully in the next 5 weeks I know who might be there. Thanks again Lindsey.

Comment

From the pictures here Suffolk Churches there don't seem to be many gravestones left in the churchyard at Monk Soham.

Comment

Welcome to the site.

As you will see, I don't live in Suffolk, but wondered whether you had found our Wiki yet.

The Suffolk page is here -
          Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

hello and welcome we have a sue from suffolk,maybe she will be able to help you brenda xxx

Comment

Originally posted by brenmac View Post
              hello and welcome we have a sue from suffolk,maybe she will be able to help you brenda xxx

Fraid not Bren.
              I don't know that part of Suffolk at all.

Comment

The NBI coverage for Monk Soham is 1713-1900 &
                for Earl Soham is 1723-1901

Send me a PM with your surnames and I can do a look up for you
                Moggie

Comment

Originally posted by maudarby View Post
                  The NBI coverage for Monk Soham is 1713-1900 & for Earl Soham is 1723-1901

Send me a PM with your surnames and I can do a look up for you
                  Moggie
                  A great offer, but unfortunately that won't tell lindyloo1974 if there are gravestones in the churchyards that she can see when she visits. And that, I thought, was the point of her original request.

Comment

I think maybe Lindy could contact the Suffolk Record Office and see if there is a list of Monumental Inscriptions for the churches shes interested in. But as is the way today, many of the gravestones are unreadable.

Comment

I went to Suffolk a few weeks ago to visit some of the villages my family lived and died in. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't find any of my family in any of the graveyards until I reached Walsham Le Willows where there is a WW1 headstone for my grandmother's cousin. Although I was a bit disappointed, it was still lovely to see where they had once lived. Suffolk is a beautiful place. We stayed in Bury St Edmunds and travelled around the many villages from there.

Comment

Working...
                      X