Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This is driving me crazy! Parallel families trouble?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is driving me crazy! Parallel families trouble?

You know how you might offer to help a friend with a "difficult" bit of their tree, but then wish you hadn't offered? Well, this is one of those!!!

I have been given the task of finding this family group after the 1841 census - deaths, marriages etc.

The difficult bit isn't finding people with the right names, but confirming if they are the same people (very doubtful) or perhaps groups of "parallel families" (term copyright of OC Holden)

OK so here they are in 1841:

James BISDEE 35 ag lab b Somerset
    Harriet BISDEE 35 b Somerset
    William BISDEE 15 b Somerset
    Edgar BISDEE 14 b Somerset
    Silvester BISDEE 12 b Somerset
    John 9 BISDEE b Somerset
    Ellen BISDEE 6 b Somerset

Address: Week St Lawrence

I don't know where Week St Lawrence is, but I can't find it on any other census.

There are some submitted baps on the IGI suggesting Harriet is James wife and the children were baptised, on dates which fit the above ages, in Banwell Somerset (no entry for Ellen).

There is a submitted death date for Edgar of July 1907. As I can't find him after 1841, I'm wondering if this family (or some of them emigrated?)

My friend has seen census entries that they believe are for the above Silvester Bisdee, but I'm not convinced it's the same Silvester.

Please help :o

aCCORDING TO gENUKI, bANWELL IS ABOUT 5 MILES FROM wICK sT lAWRENCE.
    Phoenix - with charred feathers
    Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Mmmmmmm Not sure but could be Silvester and sister Ellen with mother, mother is down as Henrietta though but well it might be??

1851; HO107; Piece: 1945; Folio: 140; Page: 33
      Fiona. xx

Comment

Yes, Google says Week St Lawrence should be Wick St Lawrence too.
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
          Yes, Google says Week St Lawrence should be Wick St Lawrence too.

Doh! So that's one thing solved!

Fiona, the first time I looked at that family I didn't know there was supposed to be an Ellen and I had forgotten why I had dismissed it! So, thanks.....that might well be them (which means James' death needs finding!)

Comment

This could be Silvester in 1871 transcribed as Bisder.

RG10; Piece: 2508; Folio: 48; Page: 42
            Fiona. xx

Comment

Now I'm wondering which census is wrong?!! lol

Deaths Dec 1863
              Bisdee Henrietta Bedminster 5c 560

My friend is related to Harriet formerly Lansdown ......Maybe we should stop whilst I go back and ask if she has a proper marriage record, or any spare Henrietta's?

Comment

Well it looks like James remarried, to Elizabeth Brimble.
                Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix View Post
                  Well it looks like James remarried, to Elizabeth Brimble.

What? James who Henrietta was the widow of in 1851 and 1861????? Aaaggghhhh! lol When???

Comment

Okay, I'll go away quietly!

But there is a James b 1808, who appears to marry in 1870 to Elizabeth Brimble. Was this one of your parallel families?!!

Bear in mind, that without Ancestry, some of my guesses are slightly wide of the mark. (Twas I who thought a washerwoman in the East End might be Queen Victoria!)

Comment

And there are two James in 1841, similar ages and two in 1861, both without wives.....

Comment

Sorry, I went to eat my jacket spud!

I have emailed back my contact to find out how relevent this is, in case she is not happy with Harriet being Henrietta.

It was the number of James' which was causing me the bother. I've just looked at the one who married Elizabeth on the 1871 census and I see though she was previously Brimble, his step-child has another surname, plus another child listed as his who was born before the marriage and one after (Mrs Bisdee is only in her 30's!).........

It all looks very confusing, so I will see what my friend has to say about Henrietta/Harriet

Comment

have sent email.

Comment

RE: James and Edgar Bisdee.

HI there, a little late to the party but I guess information late is better then none at all. James Bisdee b.1800 and Edgar his son b.1827 were convicted of sheep stealing and James also had Larceny on his rap sheet. Both Bisdee men were sentenced to ten years and sent to Australia ( this is were my part of the family grew). Edgar died in 1907 in Perth Western Australia, I am not sure about James but I am still searching. on the convicts record for the ship the Mindon it states that James has 6 kids ( I will attach a link for that record) and they are : Henry Harry Bisdee, William Bisdee, Silvester Bisdee and John Bisdee then there was Ellen Bisdee and Edgar Bisdee. A lot of documentation and other peoples trees I have come across has stated the name Harriett and I have only come across one Henrietta, So I am assuming it is Harriet.

If any further information is required, and I have it, I will be happy to pass along.

Davina. :D

Comment

Hi Davina, welcome to the forum.
                              Merry, the poster of this thread, hasn't visited Family Tree Forum for some time.
                              Might be worth sending her a private message (click on her name and you will see the option) - and if her email address is still current then she will receive notification of your message.
                              Elaine

Comment

Hi Elaine, I have sent a message to her with the information i posted here. Hope it is of some use to her.

Comment

Working...
                                X