My brain has shut down.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My brain has shut down.

I have a marriage cert from Victoria, Australia 1852.

John Morton and Hanoria Larkin. I'm fine with Hanoria.

John Morton, no father given (which from experience could mean father is dead)
    mother.....Euphemia Portis. (usually it would be Euphemia Morton formerly Portis, if Portis was her maiden name)

No age.
    Place of birth...Leith/Dalkieth, Midlothian, Scotland. Maybe he wasn't sure??

I cannot find when John came to Australia but he died here in 1908. Age given 80, probably not exactly correct.

I have found some Euphemia Mortons in Scottish census records and some Euphemia Porteus/Porteous.

Can anyone suggest where to go from here.
    He did name one daughter Euphemia so I'd say that was his mother's name. He also named a son William, and I did find a family with both Euphemia and William, but I can't seem to find a family who fit age wise, and William is a common name.

My thought is that he was illegitimate and his mother later married a Portis?.

Thank you.

Wild suggestion (cos I've just been wrestling with Mortons too, funnily enough!) but have you tried the spelling PORTEOUS?

OC

Edit: DOH! I did NOT see the line in your post about Porteous, sorry, blame the Mortons (or Martons or Hortons, lol)

OC
    Last edited by Olde Crone Holden; 21-05-08, 00:57.

Comment

EUPHEMIA PORTEOUS Parents:
      Father: JAMES PORTEOUS Marriages:
      Spouse: ROBERT MORTON
      Marriage: 13 JUL 1814 Saint Cuthberts, Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland

??????????????

Comment

All right, Merry................where did you find that?????????????

Comment

On the IGI. I can't seem to do much with it though.....

Comment

There's a Euphemia Morton b 1816 (possible daur of Robert & Euphemia senior, and sister to John) in an institution in Midlothian on 1841

She's with an Isabella Morton and other inmates include a Grace Porteous and a Euphemia Wright!

Parish: Edinburgh Canongate; ED: House of Refuge;
            ~ with love from Little Nell~
            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Thank Nell, I found her, but couldn't work out where she was. Can you get the images of the Scottish census from Ancestry? I vaguely remember someone saying you could get them somewhere.

Comment

No images on Ancestry. Shame!
                ~ with love from Little Nell~
                Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

You'll have to go onto Scotland's People to look at the census images. Also, they will have the image of Euphemia and Robert's marriage entry in the OPR's, which may or may not help. Worth a try, though, I would think.

Also, there are some baptisms on Scotland's People which aren't on the IGI, so worth looking for those too.
                  KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                  (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Thanks, KiteRunner......I'll try that.

Comment

There is an OPR baptism for a Robert Morton on Scotland's People, 29th December 1820, parents Robert Morton and Euphemia Porteous, county Fife.
                      KiteRunner

Comment

And there is an OPR baptism entry for a boy with parents Robert Morton and Euphemia Porteus, 1819, but I haven't managed to guess his name yet! That one isn't in Fife. Not got time to mess about any more with the free searches on there but if you get some credits you will be able to see the full details anyway.
                        KiteRunner

Comment

Dur, should have guessed his name would be Robert as well! 3rd Jan 1819, county Midlothian.
                          KiteRunner

Comment

Working...
                          X