This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help required !

I have an ancestor who was born illegitimately, father unknown. His mother then went on to marry somebody else and had other children. At the moment I have him attached to the whole family but with a different surname to his step siblings. Is it possible to separate him from his step father and just show him as the child of his mother with unknown father, if that makes sense ? Oh I use FTM 2005 by the way.
    Lesley passed away in November 2017.

Ive got 2006 but I think 2005 is the same?

Im trying to think of quickest way. Click after the name of the illegitmate kiddie in the children list, then go to "people" and click delete individual (assuming you dont have tons of notes for him - if you do you can go through a detach and attach process or just copy and paste all the notes afterwards). So the child will disappear from the family group.

Then under the mothers details there should be a spouse tab? Click on that and "create new spouse" - Give him the name "Unknown". You will now have a new family view - same mum, new spouse "Unknown" then add the illegitimate kiddie to the children list. You can move between the family views as you wish by clicking on the favoured spouse.

Hope thats not totally mad for you?
    Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 20-05-08, 22:26.

Comment

I don't really want to delete him as he is a direct ancestor, (my great grandfather) and that would remove all his family wouldn't it? I've created another spouse for his mother as unknown and attached him to that "relationship" but I can't see how to detach him from the step father. He appears as a child of both unknown and stepfather but is only listed once in the index of individuals !!

Comment

Well it wouldnt have deleted all the family as it is just "delete individual" but never mind. Now that you have created another spouse and attached him to that. Just click after his name on the first list of kids and then under people "fix relationship" and then "detach". I was trying to make it easier () but you seem quite confident so I should have let you do the detaching first and then attaching after to the new family.
        Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 21-05-08, 00:13.

Comment

All done. Thank you Heather

Comment

Working...
          X