If anyone's lost a Catholic girl.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If anyone's lost a Catholic girl.

Following on from a couple of threads, I have a database of Catholic nuns in Australia. Most are from the late 1800s with deaths up to the 1990s.

They have (in most cases) the parents' names, place of birth, date of birth, where they entered the convent, what order, and comments.

I can't post it, but happy to lookup. Send a pm if the person could still be alive.

Hello Libby

I could be interested in one Judith Martley who went to Australia as a Presentation Nun around 1880 to 1900. However I do not know the name she took as a nun.

Janet

Comment

Sorry Janet. Can't find her. Most of the ones I have joined here. I think the Pressies have an archive here somewhere. Do you know where she died?

Comment

Hello Libby,

Thanks for looking. Unfortunately I have no idea when she died except she did die in Australia, but where is another matter! She is also the only sibling that I have not a birth/baptismal date so it is looking more and more like a non starter! A pity as it would have been nice to tie her up neatly. The only other possibility is that she went to Australia later than I though and the name could also be Markley rather rthan Martley. Sorry Libby I do not have much info on her. I will get back to you if I find more info. Her father was James and mother Brigid. I am pretty sure she was already a nun when she left Ireland to go to Australia.

Thanks for looking.

Janet

Comment

Janet.

I'll have a look around the Pressie site here and see if there is someone you can contact. I know the Josephites found someone for me many years ago. Of course, privacy laws have tightened a lot since then, but most nuns have more common sense than governments LOL.

Comment

Libby

Thanks for any help you can offer, but do not worry if you find nothing. She is on the fringes of family, some sort of cousin, rather than main line but interesting to find out what may have happened to her as she figures in a letter written by cousins in the States back in 1870's so interesting from that point of view.

Janet

Comment

Working...
            X