Epidemic after the 1871 census

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epidemic after the 1871 census

Could you please tell me if there was an epidemic of anything ( there must have been ) in London after 1871, as I have found Caleb Bailey on the 1871 census Age 19, Lodger, Born abt 1852,Woodley Berks, Occupation carpenter, Registration District Chelsea, and nothing after that not a thing. Was it be possible that he could have died away from home and no one knew ??? so his death was not regestered.
    Sheila
    I think, therefore I am. Descarte

Sheila

There were epidemics of everything, everywhere, all the time! And people died of non-epidemic things too.

In 1871 it was not compulsory to register a death, although it was getting difficult not to do so. Have you looked at "male deaths" (unnamed) which I think are at the end of each quarters indexes.

But he may not have died, he might have emigrated, changed his name, or just be madly mistranscribed on Ancestry.

Not much help am I - I can't look at Ancestry because the images are not loading for me (grrr, I was on a roll, too!)

OC

Comment

Is this him?

Deaths Dec 1918
      Bailey Caleb 65 Southwark 1d 256

The above would have been born the right time, but I can't see any Caleb Bailey to fit the above death except your chap (and, like you, I can't find him after 1871). Maybe he was in the services abroad or perhaps he emigrated and then returned or maybe this is someone else who did the same, or he may have used a different name in the years between...........etc etc

Comment

Or he might have been in an institution and listed with just initials.

Comment

There are surprisingly few "CB"s on census born in Berks and none of them fits your chap. I wonder if he had another name he used instead of Caleb?

Or he might have been abroad - for a number of reasons.
          ~ with love from Little Nell~
          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Thank you very much for the info: on Caleb I guess he did die, I did miss his death, but I think that will do. I have not found that he emigrated .
            Thanks Again
            Sheila
            I think, therefore I am. Descarte

Comment

Working...
            X