• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GRO index mistranscription

Checking on marriages for a family I found

Priscilla Elizabeth Casbard
    1897 Apr-May-Jun Holbeach Lincolnshire
    Volume: 7a Page: 1278a

I was puzzled as Priscilla was a Londoner.
    Guess what?
    Checked the image (and its typed!) it says Holborn vol 1a

doh!
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

But I can't get to find the other folk on the page to come up, so no idea who she married and I can't spot her in 1901 (though I've checked all Priscillas with right birthdate/place!

Comment

?

Gunter Robert Henry Holborn 1b 1278a

Comment

RG13; Piece: 256; Folio: 43; Page: 10

Comment

Um, Merry

How did you do that???!!!

and thank you!

Comment

I've just been following a thread on GR where someone is looking for a marriage - the names don't match up on the GRO index.

But they do on Lancsbmd, when they are properly spelled!

OC

Comment

Well that's great if you have ancestors who married in Lancashire, OC!!!

I am beginning to think London ancestry is the most difficult, apart of course from husband's Welsh lot!

Comment

I still can't find my couple in Lancashire who supposedly married between 1891 and 1901!!!!

Thinks they're hiding in the register office and didn't get as far as the GRO!!! that's if they married at all!!!

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

I had been looking for my BM for months and could not find her, but I knew she had married in the 1960's, but did not know her husbands name,so could not cross check It was a long time before I found out her marriage was to a Ken King ,and then I was able to track her , she was listed as JOHN Bailey not JOAN Bailey . Do you think that the GRO will change it ??? not on you life and I'v tried.
                  Sheila
                  I think, therefore I am. Descarte

Comment

JBee

You HAVE checked Lancsbmd, I take it?!

OC

Comment

On one census I have for my great great grandmother it says in transcription where born 'London, Manchester' !! and also her name is transcribed wrong as well. Took an age to find.

I don't think they could have transcribed. I must admit I've never taken much notice of the actual way Ancestry have manage to upload all this stuff.

In my business I know we can drum roll and scan text but handwriting well I have no idea.

The typed indexes would have been scanned for both image and transcription.
                      Last edited by Guest; 20-05-08, 07:01.

Comment

But of course they may have typed what appeared to be correct with naff handwriting! The more stages there are (writing it down wrongly, then copying it for the GRO, then them compliling an index) the more chance there is for things to go wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
                          Well that's great if you have ancestors who married in Lancashire, OC!!!

I am beginning to think London ancestry is the most difficult, apart of course from husband's Welsh lot!

Yes, I don't have any direct line relatives from areas where there is an online BMD service (except for Bath, where I bought the certs needed before I even owned a computer!)

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
                            Um, Merry

How did you do that???!!!
                            lol Holborn is 1b not 1a

Comment

Doh!!!!

*hangs head in shame*

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                                I've just been following a thread on GR where someone is looking for a marriage - the names don't match up on the GRO index.

But they do on Lancsbmd, when they are properly spelled!
                                From Nitpickers Anonymous:

We have to distinguish between mistranscriptions of the GRO BMD indexes, for which you can add a correction to FreeBMD which will then find its way to Ancestry, and errors in the GRO index itself, for which it is impossible to add any form of correction. FreeBMD insists that its transcriptions are exact copies of the GRO index, even if the original is wrong.

When I found a Lydiard death in the GRO index as Sydiard, the best I could do was to add a postem to the FreeBMD entry. Maybe when the GRO indexes are digitised (and pigs have fully-fledged wings) there will be some means of inserting corrections. Fortunately the local RO found the correct death from the info. I supplied.
                                Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
                                X