Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else got unreadable army service records?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone else got unreadable army service records?

The one I have downloaded this evening is my worst yet - rat-chewed edges, the writing so faint it looks like an empty sheet. covered in dark splotches and speckles (damp?) and one page has the reversed image of someone-else's record. (Looks as if another freshly written sheet was flipped over and pressed down on before the ink was dry!!)
    I know we're lucky to have them, but isn't it irritating when you think you've struck gold?

On the positive side I can see that he had a bunion - that solves a family mystery, because we always thought perhaps we'd inherited ours from grandma's mother. Now it seems they come from grandma's father's side of the family. Oh, and my man was exmined by Dr Pratt, LOL
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

is that from ancestry ??? maybe you can complain and get a better copy

Comment

It is Val, but I don't think they can do anything about it.

I think it's the poor quality of the original that's caused the problem. Let's just say I'm very pleased it was free!!
      Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

thats a shame maybe if you scan it somebody on here can read more of it for you

Comment

It's really frustrating too -

I have a will of about 9 pages written in pencil which I just can't read despite enlarging it - there's someone else who wants a transcription of it too but its just too feint.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

I would see if they could do a better copy

Comment

It is obviously one of the pages that was fire/water damaged during WW2. A great many of WW1 records were lost completly. I'm afraid it's hit and miss what you get.
              Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

JBee, if the will was downloaded from the National Archives website, then contact them and ask for a better copy - they are usually very helpful.
                KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Originally posted by JBee View Post
                  It's really frustrating too -

I have a will of about 9 pages written in pencil which I just can't read despite enlarging it - there's someone else who wants a transcription of it too but its just too feint.
                  I've sometimes found them easier to read in the negative.
                  Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

Working...
                  X