Help tying up a few loose ends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help tying up a few loose ends

If anyone is bored and wants something to do, I am trying to find some maiden names / marriages. Once I get any possible matches I can then order marriage certs (check PR's), but so far nothing looking likely

Here they are if anyone can help, i'd be really grateful

EDIT Possibly found - Thomas Titchmarsh married Ann(e) ? sometime in/before 1838. Their children were all born in Barrington, Cambs. According to the census Ann was born in Thetford, Herts

Thomas Hinson married Ann(e) ? sometime in/before 1805. Their 2 known children were baptised in Great Dunmow, Essex

George Samuel White married Elizabeth ? in/before 1847, their eldest children were born in Stepney, Middex. Elizabeth was born in Rotherhithe, Surrey and george was born in Stepney, Middex

John Nuckley married Jane ? in/before 1858, Jane was born in Shoreditch, John was born in Spittalfields and their eldest child was born in Bethnal Green

Martin Turnpenny married Jane ? in/before 1749, my guess is Lincolnshire as Martin was born in Holbeach as were their children

Charles Tushingham married Minnie ? in/before 1904. Minnie was born in New York, USA as was their only child. Charles Emigrated in 1900

Thanks
    Last edited by vikki brace; 19-05-08, 18:17.
    Vikki -
    Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

Originally posted by vikki brace View Post
    Thomas Titchmarsh married Ann(e) ? sometime in/before 1838. Their children were all born in Barrington, Cambs. According to the census Ann was born in Thetford, Herts
    I didn't know there was a Thetford in Herts? Anyway, is this one of their children? John Frederic Titchmarsh born 7 Oct 1836 baptised 21 Jun 1837 New Meeting House - Independent, Royston, Cambridge (according to the IGI, but I think Royston is in Herts now?) parents Thomas and Anne.

If he is one of theirs then their marriage should be before the start of civil registration; if his parents are a different Thomas and Anne then we will need to make sure not to pick the wrong ones!
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Anyway, hope this is the right couple! From the new Hertfordshire name search on the Hertfordshire archives site - Thomas Titchmarsh of Kneesworth married Anne Docwra at Hertford All Saints 19 Nov 1835. You can "add it to basket" and then you will get the option to request a quote which would presumably be for the PR entry. They have taken it from something called the Allen Marriage Index. The bride's surname looks likely to be a mistranscription to me, though I can't think what it should be!

https://www.hertsdirect.org/ufs/ufsm...d=HALS_INDEXES
      KiteRunner

Comment

Sorry just checked ancestry and is Hertford, not Thetford - Woops, that what happens when you do your research late at night.

I don't have him down as one of their children. I have Anne b.1838 as their first child (but I could have missed one) as I can't find the family in 1841.

in 1851 they are in Royston, but their eldest daughter is listed as born in Buntingford, Herts (HO107; Piece: 1708; Folio: 274; Page: 2)
        Vikki -

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
          Anyway, hope this is the right couple! From the new Hertfordshire name search on the Hertfordshire archives site - Thomas Titchmarsh of Kneesworth married Anne Docwra at Hertford All Saints 19 Nov 1835. You can "add it to basket" and then you will get the option to request a quote which would presumably be for the PR entry. They have taken it from something called the Allen Marriage Index. The bride's surname looks likely to be a mistranscription to me, though I can't think what it should be!
          No its not mistrancsribed it is Docwra.......At least I think it is. Do you have the addy for the Herts archive, Sounds like a good site to take a look at.

I am pretty sure that they are related to my lot, but there are quite a few Thomas' and so far I haven't been able to alocate them all.
          Vikki -

Comment

Actually the name Docwra finds quite a few matches on that Hertfordshire search, so I suppose it is right. Never seen that name before!
            KiteRunner

Comment

Just added the link to my post above, but here it is again:

https://www.hertsdirect.org/ufs/ufsm...d=HALS_INDEXES
              KiteRunner

Comment

Thanks, I think the name is Irish (but don't quote me on that)

I'll have a nose around that site, as I have a few relative in Herts.

I also just found a tree on ancestry.co.uk which shows Thomas Titchmarsh and Ann Docwra with the children I have listed and with John as their eldest child, I'll email them and see what they say

Thanks Kite
                Vikki -

Comment

Hi Vikki, a quick question about your John and Jane Nuckley, is this them in 1861?

RG9; Piece: 251; Folio: 5; Page: 20

It's the only one I could find, with birth places that matched. Only John seems to be single in 1851, living with parents. So not married before 1850.

Just incase it is the right family I have searched the images for a John Nuckley marriage between 1851 and 1858 when first child was born and haven't found anything. It could be that his name was badley mistranscribed.

Birth of daughter Jane, Mar 1858 does seem to be on freebmd though.
                  Fiona. xx

Comment

Hi Fiona, Yes that is them in 1861 and John is single in 1851

it should say in/before 1858 - sorry my mistake.

Thanks for doing that trawl, this family seem to shy away from registration, most of his nephews and nieces are not registered.
                    Vikki -

Comment

I'm sure I've looked for that George Samuel White one before (fruitlessly), haven't I? The name seems to ring a bell!
                      KiteRunner

Comment

Yes Kite, you were the one who found he was the father of Charles Walter White. I was hoping some new records may have come online since that I didn't know about.

not looking likely :(
                        Vikki -

Comment

Working...
                        X