This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've lost a GEDCOM!!!

I've lost a GEDCOM i uploaded onto FTM2006.
    I opened it and read it all and now i can not find it!!
    I have asked the person to send me another and he has done so before i upload this one what did i do wrong last time and would it be wiser to upload it onto GR first and then upload to FTM?
    Sorry to sound so thick but it as been a while since i did this and now i feel like a wally!!!
    Vanessa Tallon passed away September 2011

Was it sent to you by email?
    If so go back to your original email and the gedcom file should still be there.
    Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine. I thought once you up loaded it to FTM it was gone if you know what i mean.
      Shows how experenced i am at it!!LOL!!

Comment

If you go to file in FTM, you should see a list of the last few files you looked at, at the bottom. Just click on it and it will come up in FTM.
        Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Thanks Wendy. Done it.I'm happy now!!LOL!!

Comment

Originally posted by vanessa tallon View Post
            would it be wiser to upload it onto GR first and then upload to FTM?
            Vanessa, I would strongly advise against uploading a GEDCOM to GR that somebody else has sent you, because he might see all the names that had been added and think you had just copied his whole tree, also you would have to either wipe out your own GR tree or set yourself up a spare user account to do it.
            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Thanks for the advice Kite and i agree thats why i have asked him if he minds me doing it or would rather i did not. Just awaiting his reply.

Comment

Just re-read your message Kite and if he does agree i will do it by hand. I do not fancy lossing anything from my tree and it would make more sense doing it by hand but boy i am going to have sore fingers because there are around 980 names!!
                I will see if he agrees and ask him if there are any names he would rather i did not put on.

Comment

It's not really a good idea to copy other people's trees wthout checking them - how can you be sure all the information's correct?

Comment

Mary.
                    This chap is so good he even has his own webpage dealing with this family name. He also has notes of all the info he has and how he checked and double checked the results.
                    He also names everyone who as contacted him regarding all the family.
                    He as also sent me a photo to take to my daughters father-in-law dated 1954 and it is the celebration of the diamond wedding of father-in-laws grandparents.
                    I don't think he as seen this because i beleive he was away somewhere at the time.

Comment

Well, he may be thorough, but everyone makes mistakes. Don't assume he hasn't made any just because he's been researching longer then you have.

I'm no expert, but I found a really glaring mistake in a published work written by a university history professor. He thought two of my ancestors with the same name were the same person, and would have realised the mistake if he'd bothered checking all the censuses.

Comment

I will do some checking myself before i put anyone on the tree. I do agree Mary that sometimes the expert may have got it wrong so double checking would be advicible(sp)
                        My spelling is getting worse!!!

Comment

That's the idea, and you're sure to learn a lot in the process.

Comment

I hope so Mary. I have had times on my fathers mothers side when i was beginning to think i had got things wrong but thank goodness for double checking facts.

Comment

That's one of the good things about looking at other people's trees in my opinion - it can give you a new perspective on something you've taken for granted.

Comment

Working...
                              X