New to site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to site

First of all hello to all. This seems to be a very pleasant and well put together site. Well done to admin and participants.

Problem is this.
    I was dragged up or brought up or raised (not sure of correct term!) In childrens homes. My father died at age of five whilst my mother was never spoken of. I have no photos of my family prior to care or even whilst I was in care. I am not bothered about my mother but lately I have been wondering about siblings. I was once told I had a brother and may have others. How do I go about finding out?

I only have two bits of family history, my birth certificate and my fathers death certificate.
    any ideas?

Welcome Anti biotic,

You have one very important piece of information, your birth cert. This shows where you were born and who both your parents are as you know your father, and your fathers occupation so start from there. What year are you talking about? You have your mother's maiden name on the BC so did they marry. If so when? You can use Free BMD to find a marriage up to about 1920. If later then you will need to use either Find My Past on Internet for which you will have to pay or any big library will have the BMD on fiche for free. Do you know why you ended up in a home and at what age? The Childrens Home may be able to help you with some details.

Janet

Comment

I cant remember off the top of my head but a lady named Joan will defo be able to help you, another member will remember her 2nd name im positive

Welcome to the site

Danny
      http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=528974734

Comment

???

is this u sandra

Comment

Cheers for replies. My father died in 1965. I was 4 at the time and till the age of 18 I was placed in over 20 homes but unfortunely the area of social services that kept records has closed down

Comment

Her name is Joan Allan and she is a member on here so you can PM her.
            She is a researcher for living people and she enjoys reuniting family's.
            She helped me find my mum's dad after 42years and it took her about 2weeks if that.
            She also runs a site called Myfolks.

Danny
            http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=528974734

Comment

Welcome to the site. If you look on Genealogy and Family History Records - Ancestry.co.uk
              at the full BMD indexes (not the FreeBMD ones) for births in the years before and after your own birth, with the same surname and mother's maiden name as your own and in the same area as your birth, then you may be able to find your brothers' and sisters' birth registrations and then you will know their names. Of course, if the surnames in question are common ones it might not be as easy as that!
              Another site which also has the indexes is http://www.findmypast.com

Perhaps I should mention that the rules of our site would not allow you to post up the names of your mother and your brothers and sisters if they may still be living (the genealogy boards on this site are open to view by non-members and are indexed by Google) but I'm sure there would be volunteers who would let you send the name(s) in a PM (private message) so that they could help with specific advice.
              KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
              (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Just want to say welcome to the site dear hope you enjoy it ;;
                borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

Hi Auntie, and welcome.

You might want to have a look at this board; although I realise you're not adopted, some of the methods and problems involved in your search will be similar, and you'll get a lot of support:

Comment

hello and welcome nice you have come to join us brenda x

Comment

Working...
                    X