No announcement yet.

Hampshire Cemetery help (IOW & Gosport)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hampshire Cemetery help (IOW & Gosport)

OK, so I know the Isle of Wight isn't in Hampshire!! That was just to make you open the thread

I've had a contact from a new relation through this site!! She is my 4th cousin once removed.

She has asked me about likely burial places for two of her relatives and I'm hoping someone can help me to supply the best answer! She has an ancestor who died in Gosport in 1899 and his wife who died in Calbourne on the IOW in 1918.

I'm presuming both burials would most likely have taken place in a cemetery rather than a churchyard unless the family had pre-purchased a church plot etc.

Which are the most likely cemeteries for these burials? My contact wants to visit these burial places in July and she is currently in Australia

Can't help with Gosport, but if she died in Calbourne in 1918, she could have been buried in Calbourne Church graveyard or if that was full, she would probably have been buried in the Mount Joy Cemetery at Newport.

If you e-mail the Records Office in Newport, you may be lucky and they will have a look for you. I have always had a lot of help when I have asked for information.
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

OOOh thanks Wendy!! I will try emailing.

If that doesn't work, my step-son lives about five doors from the RO, so maybe I could ask him to pop in!! lol

Comment

Merry they have books of every churchyard, and there are lists of all people buried there and maps as to where in the graveyard the grave is. They are a very helpful lot.
        Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

And as I'm only looking for one thing they might help me!

I will try getting the exact date of death from my contact.

Comment

Ann's Hill Road Cemetery is the most likely one in Gosport.

The Borough Council's phone number is 02392 584242

If they're not helpful let me know and I'll lean on one or two of our new Councillors.
            Last edited by Grampa Jim; 19-05-08, 14:14.
            Grampa Jim passed away September 2011

Comment

Merry, Newport Record Office staff are wonderful. I called one day to ask advice for someone who was a member of GR in the old days of GC who's ancestor was in the asylum when he died and they came up with so much info it was amazing.
              I then went off to Mountjoy cemetery and spoke to one of the staff there who took me into the office to look at the books to find the grave. He couldn't find it there but phoned the main office and got the plot number from them, he then proceeded to take OH and myself to find the plot as it was an unmarked one and waited around until I had photo's, all this on a freezing cold day too.
              If you find any info and want photo's let me know as I'm going over on the 30th for 3 weeks and I'm sure Margaret and I could go look for you.
              Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

Oooh, you are kind, thanks!!

I have sent an email to the RO (without the exact date of death as I am impatient!) so fingers crossed they find something!!

Comment

Originally posted by Grampa Jim View Post
                  Ann's Hill Road Cemetery is the most likely one in Gosport.

The Borough Council's phone number is 02392 584242

If they're not helpful let me know and I'll lean on one or two of our new Councillors.
                  Thanks Jim!!

Will we need to supply bribes?

Comment

No they're not that bad.

If you want a photo of the Grave you know where to find me.

Good luck

Jim
                    Grampa Jim passed away September 2011

Comment

Oooh, fanks!

Comment

Working...
                      X