Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My first criminal - It's just not cricket !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first criminal - It's just not cricket !

HELP PLEASE!

OK, his crime is probably not as exotic as some of the relies on here but I'm excited as I've been researching this chap (John Kendrew) for probably around three years without much luck.

I knew he was in Armley Gaol in 1881 (ref: census) but I didn't know why, until now that is (see article below).

The Armley Gaol records for around 1881 have been destroyed and the WYAS have been unable to help unless I can provide more accurate dates of sentencing.

I have sent an email to Northallerton records to see if they can help. Awaiting reply!

Would anyone have access to any newspaper archives (or other archives) for between 5 July 1878 (the date of this article) and 1881 (when the census was taken) around the Ripon area? I'm trying to find more information on when he may have actually been sentenced and for how long, etc.

Would anyone have any other suggestions as to where I can look for further information? All suggestions welcome although I do have problems accessing record offices that reside in the UK.

................................RIPON

At the City Court yesterday, before the Mayor (Ald
    Collinson) and Mr. W.F. Kenny, John Kendrew, late of
    Ripon, insurance agent, was charged with feloniously
    stealing certain sums of money to the amount of
    £30 19s. 6d., the property of Thomas Wells, Wm. Moore,
    Walter Scott, Charles James Wolstenholme, and others,
    members of a club commonly called the Ripon Cricket
    Club, for which he was a collector. Prisoner has
    lately been residing at Rothwell, near Leeds, and was
    apprehended on Wednesday by Supt. Metcalfe, of the
    Ripon City Police. Mr Edmundson, of Ripon, solicitor,
    appeared for the prosecution, and Mr. Bateson, of the
    firm of Bateson and Hutchinson, solicitors, Harrogate,
    defended the prisoner. On the application of Mr.
    Bateson prisoner was remanded for a week, bail being
    allowed, himself £100, and two sureties of £50 each.

Hi John

A search of The Times digital archive does not give any references for Ripon Cricket Club or Kendrew in relation to Ripon for 1875 to 1881.

Di
    Diane
    Sydney Australia
    Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Hi Di

Thank you very much for having a look. I guess Ripon Cricket Club is just not significant enough for a posh paper like The Times. :D

Comment

Possibly not, but you never can tell what might take the eye of the Editor. Perhaps someone more local knows about the local papers.
        Diane
        Sydney Australia
        Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

There are articles about this in the Leeds Mercury and the Derby Mercury (possibly others), but I haven't time to read them, never mind save them now as I have to do the school run in a few mins!

If you don't have access I can have a further look later on.

Comment

Nope, I think the Derby one is someone else! The Ledds entry is the same date as you have already (5th July 1878) so maybe it doesn't say much more?

Will post later.

Comment

Di, that's true, you can never tell and it's always worth a look at something just in case.

Merry, I should have said, the Leeds Mercury is where I got the article from. Thanks for having a look!

Comment

Oh, Doh!! lol

I can't see anything anywhere else!

Comment

I think this one's going to be tricky. :(

I will wait to see if Northallerton RO have anything to say. Hope, Hope !! :D:D

Comment

I just did a google got all excited then realised it was the posting on here oops

Comment

Val, LOL!! :D:D Just goes to show this site is famous! :D

Comment

John, I've had a look through the newspapers 1600-1900, British Library Nineteenth century papers, and the Nineteeth Century UK journals (via the Gale site). The only article I could find was the one you already have, published in the Leeds paper. Tried a Google book search as well to no avail.

This is not to say there was nothing there....just couldn't find anything under 'Kendrew'

Sorry :o

Beverley

Comment

Originally posted by John-Nihon View Post
                          bail being allowed
                          So he hadn't stolen the bails as well?

Beats mine I'm afraid - all I have is one arrested for being drunk and disorderly and two for fighting in the street (one fined). No-one who got as far as prison.
                          Michael, aged 1/4 of a century

Comment

Beverley, You have been busy, thank you ever so much for looking. :D I didn't have any luck with Google either.

Michael, Stealing the bails - SHOCK, HORROR! No, no, no, straight to the gallows in those days if you did that. Don't think he was brave enough to try. ;)

Comment

Working...
                            X